Price for new combi fitted?

Standard system boiler mounted in utility room with hot water tank in the airing cupboard (unvented and no tanks in loft).

14 year old house with 14 year old carpets

No dogs

No overlooking neigbours for combi flue

Hot and cold feeds and washing machine+dishwasher drainage within 1m of site of combi boiler

Gas supply appears to be 15mm (obviously needs to be upgraded) but meter around 6 meters in a fairly easy straight(ish) run from boiler

Boiler electric supply at boiler

10 radiators in house

Good mains pressure

Off road parking within a couple of meters of boiler installation (no 2 mile walks down terraced streets here !)

I'm also quite happy to do any decorative repairs caused by the installation. Would also quite happily sit there for a day keeping an eye on a powerflush if the installer wanted to go and earn some extra cash while the system was flushing.

All in all a realtively easy job. I had a Corgi registered installer buy an old fridge off me (long story) and he had a quick look and said he knew an installer who could do the whole lot for around £1000 including the boiler :LOL: (obviously with a cheap boiler) but yet again nobody ever turned up :LOL: (they were a property maintenance company).

The rough quote for £1700inc we had was for a powerflush, TRVs, gas supply to boiler upgraded, boiler itself and removal of the old hot water tank.

I've personally got £1700 cash waiting here for a boiler with installation - any more and I'll have to leave it till next year. We moved into this house exactly a year ago and were told the heating was in good order (which it isn't) so didn't budget for a new system. Not going to borrow any money for it either as we're totally debt free apart from the mortgage.

Oh and free tea, coffee, food and a helping hand when the installer wants it (I work from home) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Well Picbits, as you have already found out many of those cheap prices are not what they seem. Many by people who are working on the side and cannot complete the paperwork.

For all that work the £1700 seems very cheap. If its really by a properly registered person and including powerflushing and full guaranty and you know his full name and address and BT number then why have you not accepted it already?

Tony

Well Picbits, as you have already found out many of those cheap prices are not what they seem. Many by people who are working on the side and cannot complete the paperwork.

For all that work the £1700 seems very cheap. If its really by a properly registered person and including powerflushing and full guaranty and you know his full name and address and BT number then why have you not accepted it already?

Tony

Well I did send him an email to say I wanted it done but he didn't get back to me.

He's actually a user off here as well ...........

Well I did send him an email to say I wanted it done but he didn't get back to me.

He's actually a user off here as well ...........
oh!

Just out of interest why are you going from an unvented system to a combi system?

Sponsored Links
Damn this flu/tiredness/worn out brain.

Its a vented system (as I was told on a previous post).

The system is 14 years old and has never been looked after - the boiler is a Prima 50 and cycles when trying to start up.

The upstairs tank has small slow leaks on the immersion and thermostat fixings and has generally seen better days.

The amount of hot water we use is minimal - two adults with one shower per day and one child every other day but the times we have the showers varies so having instant hot water on tap without having to heat up more than we can use is appealing.

We're on a water meter so use the water sparingly for showers and don't need a fantasically fast flow.

My previous two properties have had combi boilers in them and the gas bills have been lower for both and we're quite happy with the output the boilers give for showers.

Installing a combi also lets us free up a fair bit of space in the airing cupboard which we could knock through to give my daughter some extra space in her very small bedroom.

Ok, so its a standard vented system to combi conversion. I was thinking it was a like for like replacement. Bear in mind we don't know the specifics for the job but the figure of £2.5k +vat is roughly right for supply/install a 35kw combi boiler on a conversion job. Any less and I would question where corners are being cut or if you are going to get a written guarantee from the installer.. In my experience its going to take around 4 man days.

Please bear in mind that I wasnt the original thread starter - I just gave the prices I've been quoted for a Combi install and appear to have unwittingly hijacked the poor original posters thread :LOL:

thanx for all the feedback got details of the boiler now its a potterton performa 24i he boiler
site survey says the pipe work will go outside from meter across under front door step and boiler fitted in kitchen cupboard with flue straight through outside wall got another coming to quote tuesday
thanx again guys really appreciate it

Makes the quote even more expensive then, this is a cheap Band B boiler I believe :eek:

one other thing there will be no room stat i would have to replace the existing rad valves for thermostatic as it would cost even more!!

On this boiler you MUST have a room stat fitted in a room that has no thermostatic valve on the radiator, usually the hall or lounge.

It is part of the energy efficiency regs, doesn't sound that this bloke is going to do a pukka job :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back