Pricing/Charges etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Agile/Tony replied to one of my posts in regards to pricing of a job, and i felt it would be an interesting topic to discuss on its own.

Depending on where abouts you are, we can replace them supply and fit for £135 :)

I thought you were planning to rid Coventry of cowboys?

That price seems way too high!

Since its about 25 min work and the wage rate in Cov is about £8 an hour ( less in the shops, £5 to others and £3 for family ) then surely just £35 would be closer to reasonable?

Tony

Now £135 may seem high to some but you have to consider several points.

Firstly the job may be 10 mins, 20 mins etc but no plumber will charge by the minute. You charge an hours rate as the minimum. Secondly, you can;t really expect the customer to find the correct part so you have to go yourself to get this, your looking at around another hour of your time. Add to this the fuel of travelling around looking for the right part (if your main supplier doesnt have it).

Then, and this is a vital point, the work environment. A bath or basin is one thing, but a toilet, I would class that as dirty/unclean work location/equipment and hence charge accordingly. Whilst changing a kitchen tap I may charge £40, a kitchen sink is not (or shouldnt be) used to pass human waste etc, and therefore is not really an unclean work location. I will only work on a toilet if i can see the custoemrs have good hygience and clean the toilet.

So as a minumum, i'd be looking at making £100 profit if working on a toilet. Now thankfully i have only done a handful of these jobs, but have turned down several as the toilet rims, etc were very unclean and you could see bits of excrement around toilet seat hinges etc. There is no way I would work on these, even for several hundred pounds. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Now thankfully i have only done a handful of these jobs, but have turned down several as the toilet rims, etc were very unclean and you could see bits of excrement around toilet seat hinges etc. There is no way I would work on these, even for several hundred pounds. :confused:
[/quote]

:eek: :) And you call yourself a plumber??

Sponsored Links
Now thankfully i have only done a handful of these jobs, but have turned down several as the toilet rims, etc were very unclean and you could see bits of excrement around toilet seat hinges etc. There is no way I would work on these, even for several hundred pounds. :confused:

:eek: :) And you call yourself a plumber??[/quote]

Plumber/Heating Engineer/Bathroom fitter/kitchen fitter/Tiler etc.

Although soon to be qualified Gas Fitter.....

I've done plenty of bathroom fitting, drain clearing, public toilets maintenance, abbotoirs, sewage plans and plenty more over the years. I generally visit at leat one farm a week, and I don't think my wellies have ever been free of sh-te It's only poo. Get over it.

Wear some gloves if you're really bothered.

I've done plenty of bathroom fitting, drain clearing, public toilets maintenance, abbotoirs, sewage plans and plenty more over the years. It's only poo. Get over it.

Wear some gloves if you're really bothered.

lol so you dont usually wear gloves?

Theres work i will do, and work i will not touch, and removing blocked poo is something i shall not do!

There's no need. Skin is waterproof. Just wash your hands when you've done. :rolleyes:

Ironnaz are you another short course plumber and 'gas fitter' who has left a job in IT to seek the £100k/year salary most plumbers are apparently on by any chance?

I only ask because if you had infact done an apprenticeship from an early age a bit of faeces round a toilet bowl wouldn't bother you in the slightest.

What was the job you charge £135 for?

Jesus I'm not even a plumber, a mere electrical and controls engineer but I've had my fair share of sheeite to deal with in my time as an apprentice engineer. It's only crap! Cash is cash and no matter what the job is the cash is still the same. Try working in a toiletries and pharmaceutical factory and then poo is nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back