Plumbers V heating engineers

The same skilled person doing both jobs, yes the toilet alot easier that boiler fault finding ect. I have seen and worked with gas eng, who have cracked pans fitting them, burnt carpets. foot through ceilings, I have seen them all. Im sure your not one of those gasguru.

I did say sorry :oops:

Sponsored Links
If Im getting some one elses sh1t on my jumper after taking their wc..taking down soil stacks or changing a bath trap..... unblocking a drain, chugging away at a gully thats full of grease sick and other peoples bodily fluids... well i want a decent bit of cash.

granted been a good gas engineer can be pricy with training and gear...but at the end of the day you agree a price with a customer and if every oine is happy then away we go.

Plumbers..........I'll stop now i don't want them to think I'm picking on them, but all above jobs have been done by plumbers
More likely those things were all done by builders. :rolleyes:

Nope, there's no good working practices or gas regs here, i see plumbers as (****) artists as they install heating systems and plumbing in what ever creative mood they are in, so no two installations are the same, the builders will have some input but the buck stops with the plumber as they are the experts in there field, i have a site at the moment thats being built and has over 200 boilers on it, 80% are defective and will not work when the time comes to use them, the faults are condense pipes go up hill so the condense will not drain, some of the flues terminate inside the floor of the balcony with a little hole cut out at the bottom, the 5 inch flues have air intakes buried in the wall.
I went to a unvented 300 litre cylinder where the kid in the house turned up the boiler stat, no stat on the cylinder, t/p blowing off on temp shooting hhhot water out to where the kids played.
I spend most days covering up for plumbers, not making them look stupid for doing really stupid things and telling them how to put things right and a lot are the fellas shouldn't be let near toilets let alone a heating system,
christ they tell customers to put a small picture between the rad and the roomstat so the heating doesn't go off to quick, they install drop systems without a single drain off. :LOL: Gary

Sponsored Links
Someone calling themselves a plumber doesn't make them one.

You calling someone a plumber doesn't make them one.

Being competent is what qualifies them to use the description.

The people you're describing are not "experts in their field", they're merely builders. I see the fruits of their labour all the time - they roam the country, throwing together what look (from the outside) like houses, bribing, bullying or hoodwinking Building Control Officers, without a moment's thought about good installation practice, let alone future maintenance.

Equally, there are good builders, but they don't build houses in any quantity, and they use competent plumbers.

Fixing this......

is as easy as this :?:

What planet do live on wilki :)

And if you think working on boilers is quick and easy I suggest you change a PRV on a Worcester Greenstar Junior or replace the expansion vessel hose on a Glowworm 24Ci (when the clip faces the wall). Carp design. :evil:

i know how they both work.

personally i would prefer to work on the vcw.

but i know how they both work a plumber does not.

I totaly agree, i'm not anti plumber i'm anti plonker, but the the installations i have described are the norm and as someone who likes a quite life i wish there were better trades men across the board, the op was wondering about why all singing all dancing heating engineer would charge more, and my point as a gas fitter is that i spend alot of time and effort tiding up after cheap chappies who call themselves plumbers, the customers are very happy with the work until someone like me comes along and mentions ventilation, sludge, working pressure, flow rates, etc.. this is not something i would have to do after a competent plumber, as i said there are no regs here so most plumbers don't have the same idea on installations as in the uk where most installations follow some sort of good working practice ie w plan, s plan, flushing, drain offs, filling loops etc....

I readily admit to knowing nothing about the practices in your country, although I'll be visiting later this month. :)

If things there are worse than here, you have my unconditional sympathy.

It's mental, there's no regs for unvented and gas regs are kind of voluntary till the end of the year when everything will be run by Corgi, the gas regs are a watered down version of uk regs with little differences like a soundness test will be 5 min stabilization 2min test let-by, then 5 min stabilization 2 min test soundness, a 14 minute tests, but don't worry the drink will still get you ****ed, Gary

I'm looking forward to a constant stream of Guinness. :p

I thing what he is trying to say is:
People that advertise as being plumbers and heating engineers that charge standard rate per hour, £140quid for example, 1 hour fixing a boiler yes charge £140, but 1 hour fixing a toilet for £140, bit OTT!
i could fix a toilet and yes im a docker lol :D

Correct me if im wrong wilki?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back