Heating Engineer versus a plumber - qualifications ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need to get some advice before I start a bathroom refurbishment.

The nature of problem is thus:

- Some recent renovation work in my house ended up with the plumber/builder routing the main feed to/from the boiler to the pump and rest of the heating distribution. However, it ended up being boxed in under our bed (long story), and thus when the heating kicks in we get the noise of the water from the pipes waking us up.

- I have an opportunity to do much more of a major re-route, as we are about to have the en-suite re-done, and I believe we will be able to change the layout of the pipes in the loft, so they come down through the bathroom (as opposed to the bedroom) and on to the boiler in the utility.

What I would like to do is consult a "Heating Engineer", rather than 'just' a plumber. By this what I mean is someone who can properly assess the situation, and provide me with a design that I can pass on to a plumber/builder to implement. I really don't want to assume I can just do what I 'think' I can do.

So, the question is - what do I look for when I'm Googling. If I search for Heating Engineer, I am simply coming up with local plumbing firms. Should I be expecting to see any qualifications, and if so what are they? I'm not looking for someone who can install the pipes, but moreover someone who can re config/re-design my heating system

Am I making sense?

Steve

Sponsored Links
Either should be able to sort this out. The noise will be the pipes expanding and rubbing on the joists. Place some hairfelt lagging under the pipes where they touch the joists.

for a plumber to be able to legally call himself a heating engineer he must be able to (in a court of law) prove he can spell "heating engineer" correctly on his van and other company documents :p

Sponsored Links
Some `heating engineers`can only fix boilers and are lost when it comes to plumbing/layout design etc.Some plumbers think because they have done an (NVQ) which literally means `Not very qualified` :LOL: they have an idea about heating/hot water design.Best advice to give you is to consult a Heating engineer or plumber privately.You don`t need a Heating guy if it just means draining down boiler and relocating the pipework as long as the plumber has a basic grasp of your system which is obviously not a combi.Have you thought about converting to a combi? An experienced plumber would be the way to go not some pimply goon who looks like he couldn`t find his backside in the dark.Any gas pipes needing relocating or anything to do with the boiler requires gas safe registration as I am sure that you are aware.

<snipped>So, the question is - what do I look for when I'm Googling. If I search for Heating Engineer, I am simply coming up with local plumbing firms. Should I be expecting to see any qualifications, and if so what are they? I'm not looking for someone who can install the pipes, but moreover someone who can re config/re-design my heating system

Am I making sense?

You have a number of problems trying to deal with things the way you are thinking.

Most installers are not going to prepare drawings for you for others to carry out because they know it is just hassle when a pipe route needs to be changed due to an unseen problem. (Where would that leave you!)

Most designers can do the schematics but it needs the engineer/plumber on site to actually tweak the design or carry out the details to put it in.

What you need to do is get a decent plumber or heating engineer to look at it and carry out the work so he can tweak the detail as he goes when a problem rears its head.

.... plumber/builder routing the main feed to/from the boiler to the pump and rest of the heating distribution.
There is your problem, never allow a builder to go near plumbing/gas and electric or you are just asking for bodged jobs.

Any qualified plumber can sort this mess out no problem, being a heating engineer doesn't mean anything in particular, i know a guy who calls himself a heating engineer, the idiot doesn't even know how to bend pipe or do basic soldering and has no actual idea about plumbing.

Most installers are not going to prepare drawings for you for others to carry out because they know it is just hassle when a pipe route needs to be changed due to an unseen problem. (Where would that leave you!)

Why would he need drawings??

Most designers can do the schematics but it needs the engineer/plumber on site to actually tweak the design or carry out the details to put it in.

He doesn`t need anything designing.It`s movin a couple of pipes.

What you need to do is get a decent plumber or heating engineer to look at it and carry out the work so he can tweak the detail as he goes when a problem rears its head

Wot? you mean like exactly what I have just told him? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back