Pricing To Build Own PC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't work this out!

Just idly adding up the bits on ebuyer to build my own PC & without an OS, the total is £240.50.

I could buy one with almost identical spec. from ebuyer for that!

How so?

Sponsored Links
SS,
Mass production.
Like Dell, you can select different 'innards' in a PC or laptop and they come with an OS too.
Building your own is either mainly for the 'challenge' of knowing what bits you have installed and where and what they do, or because you are a 'gamer' or something like that and require one with specific graphics etc.

A decent off-the-shelf computer that you can add memory and graphics to as you wish is usually a good idea for the average (if there is such a thing) computer user.

Mine is an Acer from Misco UK and all I did was to insert a graphics card to replace the onboard graphics and add another 1GB of RAM. It is like buying a small car and souping it up to your taste.

dave

HI SS
IMO, at least a few years ago, it was possible to save money and probably get a better spec. PC than buying a ready made off the shelf system. That does not appear to be the case currently.

As Dave says there is a lot more choice, even down to individual components with some suppliers and they are likely to come in cheaper than you buying the individual components yourself to home build.

Another factor to consider is warranty. At least with buying a ready made system from a supplier you should be able to return if any problems occur.

I have always built up my own boxes every 2 years or so including my current one, now 22 months old. I have also built several other boxes for friends & relatives over the years. It used to be a sure fire way of saving money & getting a bespoke spec if you had particular requirements & I always managed to sell on the old one which would more or less cover the cost of the new components. Things have changed dramatically over the last couple of years or so to the point where, financially, it just isn’t worth it anymore. As you’ve found, the cost of the components now generally exceeds the cost of a ready built unit from the likes E Buyer, Eclipse etc. & some even allow you to custom build the units with instant on-line pricing. Building you own is useful to keep your “hand in” with latest hardware specs & developments but I can’t see me doing it with my next box very soon; & I suspect I probably won’t be able to sell on my current unit either!

Sponsored Links
I'm a system builder, have been for about 8 years now.
To echo the others, yes its not really any cheaper to build your own any more. Although it still can be in the long run.
Branded pc's STILL use legacy hardware that are extremely specific/fussy to their own brand and what hardware they use.
I've had about 6 people in the past year ask me to upgrade the memory om their PC World bought rigs, only to find that high quality ram like Corsair XMS won't work in their stupid system, even though its the same running spec. Go to PC World and its literally 4x the price i get better ram for.
Had a couple wanting to game on their rigs. But can't fit a decent gfx card in cos the case is either matx and clustered up to hell or something else sits in the way preventing a full length card going in.
The bios tend to be locked so you cannot tinker with it for overclocking reasons etc. Overclocking a system can be breathe new life into an older rig that has fallen behind the times as far as speed goes, thus saving money on buying newer faster parts etc.

Overall, if you have the knowledge its still far better to build your own from individually purchased parts.
Half of the warranty's offered by brands are crap anyway. You get a problem you return the pc, they spend time looking at it, leaving you without a pc. If it were your own built one, you'd most likely have the knowledge to identify the issue, RMA the part, but have the option to buy a replacement part (better than buying a new pc) in the interim.

Just my 2 penneth.

As with other comments above, I prefer to build my own so I can choose exactly what goes in it. It depends on your usage. For a lot of people, an off the shelf job will do what they need.

I've fiddled with a few bits and pieces down the years & replaced odd components, cards etc., but am not exactly sure I could build a PC from scratch.

but am not exactly sure I could build a PC from scratch.

You have not tried then have you?

If you have the money why not try it?

The hardest thing i found was getting the motherboard to fit in the case.
once you have done that everything literaly plugs into it. (but put the processor and fan in first, but that said some places supply the mobo with fan and processor already fitted.)

only other thing is a genuine CD of the OS

go on, go for it.

Biggest challenge used to be ensuring you got compatible hardware but it doesn't seem so much of a problem these days, mostly seems to work together out of the box.

my biggest issue, is seeing and getting my fingers to work putting the case connectors onto the mobo. Thats where some knowledge comes in, cos if you get your usb and/or firewire connectors wrong....ffzztztt!!!
You'll either fry your board or the device you connect to the incorrectly connected socket..............Been there, done that! :oops: To the cost of a fairly full 16Gb pen drive! :oops: :oops: :cry:

I was showing one of our 14 year olds how to build a pc the other week as his kept screwing up we totally rebuilt it, well he did under guidance.

Bottom line, they aint hard to build at all, 30 mins from start to finish to put one together. BUT knowing how to troubleshoot it if it doesn't boot etc is where the knowledge comes in.

I'd say to anyone "have a go"....then ask questions if it doesn't work.

Just the way it is these days with regards to building a complete system from scratch. I had a quote from Dell for 10 new machines with 22" monitors, I only actually needed 5 monitors so inquired as to what the discount would be, it was £600 more due to the offer they had on, crazy really.

As for not being sure you could build a PC from scratch, come off it, you are an electrician right? any numpty can read a manual and plug a couple of bits into the apropriate places, its hardly 1990 anymore when you REALLY had to know what you were doing when cards had to be manually configured by the way of jumpers in order for it to function correctly.

If you have the ability to use a screwdriver and can plug idiot proof one way connectors into a motherboard then you can build a PC. (Lets not get started on static before anyone gets their knickers in a bunch)

The area that people seem to struggle with is installing the OS and drivers. The mechanical bit most people seem to get right.

Going back to the original point, building PC's designed for general use is pretty pointless as the cost difference is negligable. I am currently building one for a photographer that you could never buy off the shelf.

Sponsored Links
Back