Pricing To Build Own PC

securespark, I still say you should go for it.
as has been said its so easy, almost every thing will only plug into one place.
only thing that def. doesnt is IDE cable, it can plug into socket 0 or socket 1, the bios will look in socket 0 first, so use socket 0 for your hard drive

best use a brand new hard drive set to master (jumper on the back)

Sponsored Links
securespark, I still say you should go for it.
as has been said its so easy, almost every thing will only plug into one place.
only thing that def. doesnt is IDE cable, it can plug into socket 0 or socket 1, the bios will look in socket 0 first, so use socket 0 for your hard drive

best use a brand new hard drive set to master (jumper on the back)

eh? If he's gonna build new, he's gonna be using sata not pata.
If he did use pata for some very strange reason, then it makes no diff which controller (usually there are 2) is used for the hdd os.
If you are talking about master and slave on the same ide channel/cable, then same question, why? SATA is what's used nowadays. PATA is just legacy.

i was only speaking from experiance.

my bios decided to boot from IDE 1 as it can find no OS on IDE 1 it would not boot.

It was the bios backup battery that was failing, which caused it to try and boot from IDE 1

he may get a mobo with IDE

Yeah, thats fair enough, experience is what we all draw from.
However any new mobo will be sata biased with only 1 ide controller.

Everything is made easier now. :)

Sponsored Links
SS loads of info here ... http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Build.htm
Site is a tiny bit quirkey, but generally very useful... the odd advert splits the info but all becomes clear after a 'page down' or so.

One thing from a none expert, use decent kit, it does make sense.

try 'YouTube' search on this 'The Screen Savers - How To Build A PC - Part' there are 7 parts, the search text should ensure all 7 parts appear somewhere on screen.

:D

I have always built my own as i am a gamer of sorts (as much as you can be with a 5 month old baby!). For me its been cost effective to build my own as i want high spec but am happy to use my old case and other accessories.

www.pcadvisor.co.uk is an excellent forum, have a good search of old threads as building a PC comes up regularly, plus if you get stuck the help forum is very active with dozens of posts a day. Good luck and just take your time.

Cheers, guys. I shall look at some websites & seriously consider a self-build.

OK. Remember, I know a bare minimum about building PC's...

I have compiled a list of components which I think go together to make a fairly speedy PC.

Trouble is, I don't know which speakers to go for, whether I have a full complement of cooling fans, whether LAN is built in to the MoBo, whether I have included any USB ports, etc, etc.

These are all ebuyer quickfind codes:

Case 147879
MoBo 150280
Memory 154644
CPU 139584
HDD 131300
DVD RW 142275
FDD 74629
OS 123067

I have chosen Asus board as it comes well-recommended and has on-board sound and graphics. I understand that stand-alone boards have better specs, but, although I'm going to be using the PC for storing digi pix & music handling, I'm not too bothered about having top spec vid & sound.

I think I've chosen memory & CPU & OS that is compatible with MoBo.

The reason I've gone for 4Gb is that I understand Vista works best with a minimum of 2Gb & 4Gb is the max for this set-up.

HDD I know is not the biggest: for storage of most of my digital media, I will be using either my existing HDD's converted to external drives or another external HD drive.

For the money, I'm looking for the fastest set-up- I understand 64 bit OS is faster & this hardware supports 64 bit.

Any comments most welcome.

Case 147879
Fine
MoBo 150280
Yeah, not bad ASUS are good
Memory 154644
yeah fine
CPU 139584
This instead 158689, its cheaper and better with more Ghz and more L2 cache.
HDD 131300
It will do, seeing as they're short on Samsumg drives
DVD RW 142275
Nope! why use IDE when you have SATA. Get this one, 156231 = cheaper too.
FDD 74629
Lol, wth do you want a floppy for? your choice though, they don't cost much so why not i guess.
OS 123067
OK, that will utilise ALL 4gb of your ram where 32-bit will only utilise 3Gb, so yeah thats fine. BUT make sure you buy it all together as OEM windows has to be bought/sold with relevent hardware.

Bear in mind that the bigger the hdd the faster the hdd, so if you can stretch to a 500gb then not only are you gaining extra storage but also speed as well.
You'll have plenty of room in your case cos its ATX and you're buying a mATX mobo. You won't need extra fans or anything like that as you aren't running any hardware that really requires it. The psu in the case will be fine for your needs too.

Nowadays nearly all mobos come with onboard sound and lan and they are perfectly acceptable to everything but the fussiest audiophiles.

Hope it helps. :)

Yes, thank you!

156231 is OOS...

The CPU you suggest is good, but has no fan. This one is the same but with fan isn't it?

Any good speaker recommendations?

just my 2p (again)

i dont like on board sound or graphics.

doesnt mean to say YOU shouldn't go ahead, you can always add cards later

Each to their own, i build as many gaming rigs as i do general work rigs and the diff is the gfx card, not the sound. Onboard sound shouldn't be an issue in any modern computer now. Its only hi-end audiophiles who prefer external sound cards.

Securespark, yes 148715 is the one ;)

Btw....ebuyer aint the only place to get your goodies.

aria
overclockers
They're my 2 main suppliers.
Ebuyer is my 3rd

Edit:

Have looked at these guys you mention. The prices don't seem as keen and the choice sometimes is not as wide as ebuyer.

Sponsored Links
Back