Primatic cylinder problem

Sorry guys
No mixers, power shower installed but this takes cold water from the storage tank. Knew this might be risky with a primatic tank but it has been fine for over 18 months. Central heating has always been pumped and is set to slowest speed. Water is i bit dirty but only for a short while after the full drain down. Sort of expected this. If the only feed is through the cold storage tank, and the ballcock has shut off how can the tank possibly fill? the ball cock shuts off with the tank only half full so the amount of water that is rising up the filler is substantial. It wll overflow over night so i reckon about 5 - 6 gallons :eek: Kind of defies the laws of physics. it aint the money or the time to replace that is the problem it is just a case of wanting to know why or how this is happening.

Sponsored Links
pugsman0 said:
it is just a case of wanting to know why or how this is happening.
Is there an isolating valve on the hot supply pipe to the taps? If you close this fully does water level still rise as before?

With power shower, is the storage tank that supplies the cold the same as the storage tank supplying the Primatic cylinder?

No isolator im afraid so cant check. It is the same tank that feeds the cold water for the power shower.

No isolator im afraid so cant check. It is the same tank that feeds the cold water for the power shower.

Sponsored Links
You must have isolating valves on the supply to the power shower. What happens if you close one of those?

Are you sure that it's a Primatic cylinder?

Effectively the shower takes both of its supplies from the cold tank except that one goes through the hot water cylinder first. There is no direct feed from the main that i can find to anywhere on the hotwater side of things. there are isolators on both hot and cold for the shower It says primatic on the cylinder and there is no expansion tank so i think so.

Sorry hadnt finished. This all just seems to defy the laws of physics. Ayway thank you all for your kind help.
I am about to embark on the project of changing the cylinder for a coil type so wish me luck. ;)

chrishutt said:
You must have isolating valves on the supply to the power shower. What happens if you close one of those?
Worth a try? 5 minutes?

PS. Nothing defies the laws of physics. That's why they're called laws. There is a simple explanation but we need more data.

Turn the isolating valves off on the supply to the power shower and leave it overnight, does it still overflow.

Next isolate the washing machine and do the same test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back