Primer for filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have filled my walls in various places and read that I should prime this before I apply the emulsion coats. This should avoid "filler grinning" amongst delivering other benefits.
Which product do you recommend? Ideally something that I can purchase at toolstation or screwfix please.

Sponsored Links
You generally don't need fancy primers for typical filler repairs. A light coat or two of diluted emulsion (the same as you plan to use for the finish) is fine to use over the filler as the primer, in order to prevent 'grinning'. However, the filler does need to be level and well blended into the surrounding area, otherwise no type of paint will prevent the areas from being seen. Remember that matt emulsion also helps hide blemishes far better than other finishes.

If you really feel the need to prime with something else, I would go with BullsEye 1-2-3, but you will probably find that this type of primer will still flash through your first coat of emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back