Primer/undercoat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just looking at painting our bedroom a white but tis currently magnolia with a purple feature wall so I understand I need some primer.

I'm finding mix messages online about water or oil, some primers showing wood and metal but multi purpose.

So I've found this one

Or

Or

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's just emulsion on just paint over.
If dirty then a wash over with something like sugar soap.

Re primers.
Yeah. We have so many primers to choose from.
Basic primers that are for wood or multi surface primers that do more than one job like wood and plaster. Some stain block. Some can be used on plastic or metal. Some oil based while others waterbased.

Why do you think you need a primer?

More information about what your painting and what type of paint is on the surface will get you a more specific answer.

Only thought that I needed primer or undercoat to cover the dark purple feature wall, which I assume is Matt Emulsion before I put on my new Matt Emulsion white paint.

One undercoat then 2 top coats of emulsion or 3 coats of emulsion.
Undercoat is no better covering the dark colour so no advantage in using

Sponsored Links
Ah ok thanks, I just read to use a white primer to cover over dark paint but sounds like that's not necessary then

Just read some more bits and saying use a cheap white paint first then our chosen colour

Last edited:
What brand are you using as the main colour? If it's expensive then I probably would go over the purple first with some Leyland trade acrylic primer/undercoat. This dries very quickly ready for the top coats. It's about 17 quid for 2.5l you can also use it to undercoat all your woodwork if needed.
Of course 3 coats of the emulsion would work too but if it's 50 pound a tin...

Yes, that's the stuff
Sorry,I'm not quite understanding. Are you asking if 2.5l of your colour is enough for your bedroom and if that 750ml would do one wall?

Kinda yes but looking at it the primer should be just enough to do my 6sqm purple wall and the whole of the room is about 18sqm so might just squeeze 2 coats out of the main colour.

I hate painting but thinking cheaper to do ourselves and just a bedroom.

Price wise the 2.5l plus 750ml primer would be around £35 but only just enough of the main paint for 2 costs. 5l is £32 and could almost do 4 coats so reckon that might be easier if people saying multiple coats would be sufficient?

and not worry on the primer then. Also need to try and sort some bumps out on another but that's a whole different story

No need for primer. It's use in this instance was to take the sting out of the purple. 3 coats of main colour will be fine

That link just links to this site.
You just need some powder filler for the holes and sand the bumps. If they're small bumps you can just tap them in with a hammer and then use powder filler on them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back