Priming zinc plated plasterboard mushrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have attached my insulated plasterboard to the sloping part of the ceiling with zinc plated screws through 3cm metal discs (which I presume are zinc plated too but the bag they came in has nothing on it!)

I have read a number of posts about rust showing through as emulsion has reacted with the screws due to the skim coat being too thin. My question is: in order to preempt this, what can I paint the discs with? Can I use red oxide or is that overkill? What other sorts of metal primer might suffice?

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
the zinc plating gives short-term resistance to rust. In damp or outdoor conditions it will in time go rusty.

If you want extra reassurance, you can use an oil-based primer. A light coloured one will show less through your subsequent paint. I use a Dulux Metal Preservative primer which comes out light grey/beige. Preservative primers are more expensive than most, but a small can will last a long time. Hardware shops often carry minority interest primers by International, in red cans.

Lovely job JohnD, thanks very much! I'll get me some of that Dulux Metal Preservative primer so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back