printer

pipme said:
I have a HP deskjet 890C Pro Series inkjet, bought several years ago, current cartridges have been in for 18 months now, still work fine on demand. (carts are expensive tho, single black and a tri-colour)
;)

But Pip, I thought you were a regular user of those aftermarket inkjet refills? The reason I ask is that I bought one of these kits a couple of months ago for my Dell A920 in order to avoid paying £25 for a new black cartridge. I haven't got around to using it yet as there are still a couple of notches of ink left according to the graphic, but I saw on a separate thread that some cartidges are chipped and therefore will not accept the 'new' ink. Am I likely to experience this? Any ways around it?

Sponsored Links
I have used the refills home and work -- in fact I have a partially used 'black' kit from GraphicsUtilities on the shelf now, bought ages back and used ok with DJ500, now defunct.
My cartridges are not, to my knowledge, chipped in any way.
Have JR refill kit for colour, also part used .... ok whilst printer in regular use and was manufactured with my 890C in mind, the instructions related to that printer.
I was about to ask 'Does your kit relate to your printer or is it general ?' But it must relate, otherwise you will not have the correct plugs etc for re-sealing following ink injection.

How about refilling before current cartridge shows empty ? Hopefully the chip will not set 'empty' just by removing the cartridge ? There would be other reasons for removal.
As you can tell, I am no expert on this ... Have worked with printer which just reset it's evaluation of ink remaining when cartridge removed then replaced -- but carts were not chipped, whatever that may mean.
P

What I have is a JR Inkjet Refill kit. It contains bottles of flush, black ink, coloured ink, a syringe, and a plug kit as well as a small CD-rom. Though it looks to be pretty general the instructions relate to no less than twenty five different applications. Though mine is not included in the featured choice - it's a Dell A920 using T0529 (black) and T0530 (colour) cartridges - I rang JR (the company, not Ewing ;)). They said that I should follow the details re option 14:
LEXMARK I3, Z13, Z23, Z5, Z33, X75 NOT Z55 OR Z65

It's a bit odd 'cos I thought Dell cartridges were made by HP but perhaps that's wrong.

pipme said:
.....I was about to ask 'Does your kit relate to your printer or is it general ?' But it must relate, otherwise you will not have the correct plugs etc for re-sealing following ink injection.

P

Well the implication from JR is that the plugs will be appropriate for all of the twenty five cartidge applications described. I really should get on and have a go at filling it but I have got about half a dozen important letters to write which the remaining supply will handle and did not want to bollux up the machine beforehand. I will keep you posted as to how I get on though! Cheers! :)

The Ink left "graphic" on my HP printer works on the principle of usage which i think leaves accuracy in question but anyhow if the chipped cartridges respond to the same criteria then it won't make any difference refilling them at anytime in their use as the chip is preset to a certain volume/use formula.
One thing that springs to mind is that the use of chipping must in some way break monopoly rules in that they force you to use the manufacturers inks? i suppose the only way around this would be a boycott of manufacturers that use this method.

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
The Ink left "graphic" on my HP printer works on the principle of usage which i think leaves accuracy in question but anyhow if the chipped cartridges respond to the same criteria then it won't make any difference refilling them at anytime in their use as the chip is preset to a certain volume/use formula.
One thing that springs to mind is that the use of chipping must in some way break monopoly rules in that they force you to use the manufacturers inks? i suppose the only way around this would be a boycott of manufacturers that use this method.

Yes, good point. But actually Dell won a legal case over the other companies manufacturing compatible cartridges for their machines. I have tried to find the link but with no success I'm afraid. Astonishingly they won this in the States. And it's not as though Dell produce the damn things themselves! :eek:

Anyway, you'd better go and resume the fight on the other fora. ;)

Interesting, http://www.a-levelsuk.co.uk/en-gb/dept_463.html
Why reset ? Unless the chip inhibits further use, does it ? anyone know ?

Just having a Google :-
...HP no.14 ink cartridge is the exception, with a warranty period of 3 months only, and a limited 'in-printer life'. The cartridge has a 'Must Install Before' date on the package. If it is installed prior to this date, it will last 18 months in-printer. If installed after the date shown, it will expire in less than 18 months because the cartridge is programmed to deactivate at the end of its 'in-printer life' period. The printer will not operate until the cartridge is replaced.[/b]
Must be a new fangled 'chipped' effort !

Having a ripping time, saucey bu##ers are they not ?
P

The Cartridges on our 15 year old HP Printer are now hellish expensive.

We would like a black & color printer, for Excel , word and photo printing

Any suggestions of a replacement.

I think a Laser printer maybe of our price.
Thanks

After going through several cheap crappy printers with cartridges costing the earth we stumped up for an Epson Eco tank, a game changer - no more cartridges, should last a few years before we have to get any more ink, more expensive to buy but should be considerably cheaper in the long run, the kids can print any old crap they want without my blood pressure rising! Don't know what they're like for photos though tbh

Last edited:
Never seen Office printer going FREE in my area.

But on cost of ink think may go for a Laser printer, any suggestions ?

But on cost of ink think may go for a Laser printer, any suggestions ?

I use an ancient HP 4000n which came free, ex-office, with network interface and duplexer, which I've had for 20 years. I have it tucked away in the small bedroom, connected to the network, so I can print to it from anywhere in the house. When I got it, it was mis-feeding the paper, so I replaced the rollers for a few pounds, then a few years ago, I had to buy it a refurbed, cheap cartridge.

Freecycle, trash nothing lol I'm surprised those sites still exist, about four items on each site within about 30 miles, all stuff clearly being got rid of by older people, it's all marketplace nowadays, even gumtree is pretty much dead now.

Sponsored Links
Back