Privacy Glass options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a corridor with large area of glass ( 5800 x 1900 ) which is currently an old aluminium frame with blown double glazed units.

I am looking to replace it , and the obvious choice is upvc .

The corridor looks onto the garden , which is fine during the day, but I'm not keen on the idea of neighbours seeing in at night when the lights are on.

What would you suggest at a reasonable budget to allow light in during day , but have some privacy particularly at night ?

Mirror film, tinting film , switchable privacy film ( this seems a bit 'grand designs' , can't find any prices or local suppliers ) , blinds ?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Blinds or vinyl film (semi opaque ground glass look) are cheapest. The electronic stuff is very expensive with units running into many thousands if pounds - hence very few suppliers

Most types of obscured glass or film, especially the mirror type, don't work particularly well (or at all) when it's brighter inside than outside. For privacy you therefore need blinds of some type.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I would like to avoid obscure glass , as I'd like to see/enjoy garden during the day.

Probably wanting my cake and to eat it here, but would like to see out during day but not be on show at night.

I take your point about the mirror film not working at night. How about the tinting films used on car windows. How do the work at night , with the lights on indoors ?

Tint films won't do what you want. Exactly wrong in fact - they will let people see in, but not let you see out, at night.

Blinds or curtains ..

As stated tinted films/glass won't provide obscurity , and Mirror effect films/ Sealed units whatevr side has the brightest light is the side you will see , so if you had a light on in the corridor at night, everyone passing will see you, but you won't be able to see out

To give you an idea. I just supplied 2 integral blinds 1000 X 1900 approx @ £700+ vat

Integral blinds are cool but a bit pricey. Another option are perfect fit blinds http://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/perfect-fit-venetians/4749/beige.html
Much cheaper but there are a few things to test:
1. Minimum sizes (as your having new window just make sure any openers are large enough for them 263 x 200mm minimum bead to bead sizes.
2. Make sure your window handles will open past the frame. Worst case scenario you may have to buy or make some packers to pack your handles out a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back