Privacy plants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, now im no gardener at all but what im after is a fast growing tall plant for at the back of the garden along the fence people can litrally just see us in the garden.

We have bamboo in another place in the garden but not sure what variety it is or how fast it grows

Also something cheap as there is a big area to cover

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Suggest you check out

"Mile A Minuit" It loves to grow and spread over such things as fences

yes it can then because there is no support it tends to fall over and entangle [even better]?

Sponsored Links
Is it quite low maintenance? Dont want anything that will take over as the fence backs on to someones drive

They like to stand out front and smoke and then can see into our garden ans front room!

Personally I wouldn't touch the mile a minute - it's fast growing for sure but it's also one of the knotweed family and will spread all over your garden. Unless you keep on top of it it will start to smother other plants and be a royal pain in the backside!

Personally I wouldn't touch the mile a minute - it's fast growing for sure but it's also one of the knotweed family and will spread all over your garden. Unless you keep on top of it it will start to smother other plants and be a royal pain in the backside!

Thats what i read from a quick google, not for me i dont think

Any other suggestions?
Ideally it would grow fast and only grow 7-8ft tall

Last edited:
Yeah funny enough ive just been in the garden looking at the bamboo we already have by the side gate.

Is there a easy way to take cuttings and plant them in the ground along the back fence?

You can take cuttings but if you plant it straight into the ground, you could have bamboo growing all over the gardens, unless you dig up the area and put a rhizome barrier under the soil so the bamboo roots can only spread that far. alternatively you can get some large pots and plant the cuttings in there with a soil/sand/clay mix which is what ive done.. works pretty good but next time instead of golden bamboo im going to try bambusa bamboo which can apparently grow upto 20 feet tall in a pot!

Thanks, i might put it in pots.
Do i litrally just chop a branch off and stick it in soil?
Sorry im really not a gardener haha

There are a few ways it could be done. Check youtube for Bamboo Propagation videos to get a clear picture of what to do.. it's pretty easy though, basically cutting the branches in the right places, you basically end up with what are mini bamboo plants which you rub with rooting powder and put in the soil, let em grow, water them regularly, and within about a year they could be 3 to 5 feet tall already. Here's a bunch of vids https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bamboo+propagation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back