Best plant/bush etc to block views...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive just taken down some double timber gates to my back garden and bricked the hole up. im not that overlooked, but im end of terrace and need to plant something thats going to grow over 7ft tall to block view from house over the road and to make the garden look better.

i havent a clue about plants and ive no idea what to look for at my local garden centre/homebase with regards to something thats going to grow relatively quickly, look nice and grow tall to block the view.

help appreciated.
;)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
12286.jpg

privet

I've just been through this.
I think you need to decide the maximum height you want and how long you're willing to wait.

Some plants/trees may take a while to get that high, but may look better in the long run.
We've just planted a £8 conifer to eventually screen the neighbours as we need more height. I'm planning to stand on a stepladder and trim it each year.

I'm not a fan of bamboo, but it moves around in the breeze nicely if you like that sort of thing and is probably the quickest growing option.

If it's only got to go to 7 foot, a nice shrub would work but may take 2/3 years.
People on other forums suggested Red Robin, Viburnum etc as shrubs.

If you want something a bit higher, Morrisons etc sell cheap decorative trees but most won't be evergreen.

if you want to cover a wall up use russian vine. that bugger just grows and grows

russian vine dies back in the winter, so of little use. you did not mention its other name. mile a minute, it seems like it does, we have 2 of them

Escallonia macrantha grows quickly to about 12 feet. It has red flowers in summer, is evergreen and can be cut back providing you don't do too much all at once. You could prune it to keep it at eight feet or so with no problems.

And it is a very nice plant as wel..

Everyone has opinions on this but you should seriously consider a Solanum Jasminoides “album”. Why? Because it is evergreen; has a long flowering period that can take it up to December; will not get woody; has small beautiful white flowers with yellow centres; and can be trained up a fence or wall. Stay clear of its brother the “Glasnevin”. Case closed.

Mr Pickles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back