privacy screen height restriction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone one shed some light on this.

I have a raised decking at the end of my garden. When on it, my head is above the 1.8 (from ground level) fence.

So... I want to build a 'freestanding' privacy screen on the 3 sides of the decking. I will fix vertical timbers to the decking sub frame and then fix horizontal timbers to the top of these above fence height.

How high can I go?

I know an outbuilding cant exceed 2.5 m in height when within 1 m of the boundary.

From what I've read, they are shared fences so i don't want to fix anything to the fences as I will need written consent from the neighbours and that wont happen, plus i'm sure I still cant go higher than 2 m as it will be seen as an extension of the fence if it was attached.

This is why i think freestanding and away from the fences is the best option.

regards

Sponsored Links
If you bullt a wall around the 3 sides and then roofed it over, but kept one side open (presumaby the side facing your house), then you could argue it's a curtilage building and not more than 2.5m high.
Then from the point of view of impact (which is what the GPDO is all about) what's the difference?
Just get the fence up around it and have done. If the neighbour complains and some bod comes round from Enforcement, tell him it's a summerhouse which is not finished and there is going to be a roof on it - someday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back