Private versus council building inspectors - please discuss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just had a loft conversion done and when I mentioned at the start that I might want to use council building inspectors the company we'd signed a contract with threw their dummy out the pram and starting pulling the builder off the job. Loft conversion looks very smart and fine really. They put smoke alarms in all the rooms in the house so that we don't have fire doors and I think a private firm may allow that more than the council. Any views?

Sponsored Links
The inspection and standard should be the same.

Companies, particularly loft companies like to have their "friends" do the inspecting as they get cheaper fees (aka kick-backs/commission), and can try and get more lenience with the checks

From my own experience, private inspectors tend to turn a blind eye to some transgressions, particularly those not directly related to health and safety. After all, you're paying their wages and they want to get repeat work from builders and designers.

On the other hand, some LABC inspectors can be overly picky about things that aren't really that important; it makes their job more interesting.

By the way; if your loft conversion makes it a 3-storey house, you really should have fire doors around the landing; that is a vital safety issue.

I agree with tony1851,

In my experience Approved Inspectors tend to be a little bit more accepting of deviations from the building regs and more willing to accept alternative solutions. I've found them more approachable and business led too, and the lack of beaurocracy is worth the marginal extra cost.

As an example, a few years back I was working on a commercial refurbishment project over two floors. The LABC demanded that a full lift be installed in order to comply with Part M, even though anyone not able to use steps had all the services provided on the ground floor. It would have financially broken the project.

Sponsored Links
The LABC demanded that a full lift be installed in order to comply with Part M, even though anyone not able to use steps had all the services provided on the ground floor. It would have financially broken the project.

So what happened? Did you drop LABC and go private to avoid having to install the lift?

I heard from someone that once you submit plans to the local council, you can't change part-way through and go private, though I might be wrong.

That's right, you can't change. I remember My boss at the time having countless meetings with them slowly moving further up the command chain in a long and drawn out process.

He had been trying to convince them that, even though it shouldn't be needed, a platform stair lift would do the same thing. We even made changes to lose usable floor area on both floors to adapt stairs to suit a full time use stair lift... they still weren't happy with it.

In the end, our client basically stuck his two fingers up at the LABC and told us to put in the stair lift as at least that was more financially reasonable than the tens of thousands that a proper lift would have cost him!

As far as I know, the job never did get signed off... but our client owned the building so at least he didnt have to worry about a landlord looking over him.

The local council will likely have more local knowledge but getting the plans passed and questions answered may take longer.

Private inspectors can work anywhere and often "partner" companies (with all the positives and negatives this brings) but tend to be more flexible.

As far as I am aware so long as works have not commenced on site, you are able to close your council application and go private. As you can't have two applications open for the same work.

One other thing is that approved inspectors can only take on projects that have not started yet.

Barnet Council, in North London are ruthless about this, they send out an inspector as soon as they get a notice in order to check that no works are started on site... if they have then they will reject the notice and take on the work themselves... Anything to try to keep the job (and fees)!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back