Privet hedge, yes or no?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had fence panels for years, they blow down etc, replacement costs are very expensive. have seen a site that sells the hedges and im tempted.
I was looking at the privet green. I dont want the hedge too wide, can you control the width? and want to grow to no more than 7ft.
I have seen them here http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/product_10273.html

any advice welcome, like other types of hedges.

Sponsored Links
Privet is much maligned as a hedge, but in my opinion, it is one of the best.

It can be grown to the height you require, fairly quickly, and it can be trimmed neatly into any shape you desire. It rarely loses all its leaves in the winter.

The only real problem is that it needs trimming about 3 times per year.

Lonicera Nitida is an alternative, but not as strong as privet in my opinion.

The best hedges in my opinion, are box, and holly. But they take many years to reach a reasonable size.

sandwell said:
The best hedges in my opinion, are box, and holly. But they take many years to reach a reasonable size.

yew hedges are the creme de la creme.:cool:

mind you, box is pretty, below the knee of course.

lol

you aint gonna believ it but Im gonna choose leylandii green as its fast growing and looks nice.

Sponsored Links
Leylandii grows fast but if you don't keep it trimmed, it goes brown at the base. Unless you have no close neighbours, it's a really anti-social plant. Have you considered cherry laurel? It has lovely shiny leaves and grows reasonably fast.

NickStone said:
Leylandii grows fast but if you don't keep it trimmed, it goes brown at the base. Unless you have no close neighbours, it's a really anti-social plant. Have you considered cherry laurel? It has lovely shiny leaves and grows reasonably fast.

Hi

Does it look nice, I have tried finding pictures but to no avail. I dont want anything scruffy looking :D
Do you know how high they grow per annum?

cheers nick, im tempted, my missus wasnt over fussed on the leylandii, and the laurel is green to the base like you said.

Do you know how deep i should dig for these plants on ebay, what do you reckon 2 or 3 feet apart.

my garden is 50ft long, so every 2 1/2 foot, would be for 2 lots on here.

must admit, never really noticed hedges that much, seen loads today and they do look better than fencing IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-evergreen-...oryZ3185QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
morphe

I would try and look at some of the hedges that have been suggested before you decide.
Leylandii is definitely anti-social, although it does look nice for a few years, but the older the hedge, the bigger the problem becomes.
My neighbour has the cherry laurel on part of his garden, which adjoins mine, and so I have to trim my side. I find it quite difficult, and have to use secateurs, rather than the electric hedge trimmer.
Another reason why I favour privet, it is so easy to trim with an electric hedge trimmer.

I do agree that yew is a very good hedge, but again, takes a long time to grow.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Morphe

Laurel (Prunus Rotundifolia) makes a great hedge and is relatively fast growing. However, it is difficult to prune and shape with cutters and still retain a good looking hedge. This is beacause the leaves are so large and can look messy after being torn with the cutters. The look improves of course after a few weeks of growing again. If you go for Laurel plant a staggered row with 20"-24" between plants. Dig over the ground before hand to about 12" deep and incorporate some well rotted organic material or alternatively a good handful of fish, blood and bone per plants mixed well into the soil before planting.

Another good looking plant and as a more attractive alternative to Leylandii is Western Red Cedar (Thuja Plicata). This grows about 2 feet a year and smells and looks great. Plant about 18" apart in a staggered row.

OK guys went to the local garden centre for privet, they were too small, would take along time to grow, the guy in the garden centre advised me to get GRISELINIA. So I have 15 plants to plant :eek:

ta everyone

Glad that you have decided, something less to worry about.
Hope you are pleased with the hedge when it gets established.

I have grown several privet hedges, but never bought plants. I have always planted cuttings direct into the ground, very easy and simple to do, and Cheap. :D

b4 i go to bed, the guy told me to plant 3ft apart, which i have done. the internet sites reckon 12-15 inches, what do you reckon?

Griselinia will eventually give you a reasonable hedge at this distance but I would get another 15 and interplant for a quicker more denser hedge. Protect the hedge from very cold drying winds in winter unless you are near the coast.

Every success with the gardening.

TJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back