PRO ADVISE PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Yes, i have used this method on a large ceiling before. Tack the stop end bead, which is like an angle bead with only one side, to the wall and plaster up to it. Then pva where your new plaster will meet the old and continue. This method is not as good as laying the whole wall on in one because it may need a bit of attention from the decorator at the join, but if you are on your own and the area is too large the result will be better than running out of time and leaving trowel marks everywhere.
I’ve done it a few times & It's a perfectly feasible way of plastering a very large or high wall in, say, a conservatory or even a very large ceiling which under normal circumstances, you would not be able to tackle working on your own & mixing yourself.

I think the bit Bogan has (hopefully :LOL: ) left out is that you, obviously, fix the stop bead so you work up to the outside edge & not over the mesh :eek: Remove the stop bead just as it’s going off to get a neat line, finish up & then move to the next section; if you get it right, very little filling (if any!) is required. ;)

Sponsored Links
When I did it I left the bead in place and plastered over it with a pretty good result but yours sounds like a good idea Richard so i'll try it next time.

surely if you left the stop bead in situ you would see the join :confused:

Find a wall that is a little bigger each time. Make sure the stuff is super fresh. pick from a new pallet, it make a massive difference. Use it as soon as you get it home.

Nick
[removed]

Sponsored Links
When I did it I left the bead in place and plastered over it with a pretty good result

I'd agree with Alistair; if you leave the bead in place you will almost certainly see it; or at least a good/trained eye would ;) . There is also a very high chance it will eventually crack along the length of the stop edge due to differential expansion.

Just to make things clear, I would not say do this as a matter of course & the answer is to get your speed & experience up so you can comfortably do the whole wall/ceiling. If working alone, everyone will have their personal square/metre limit, even with super fresh plaster! Some will be faster than others & the younger & fitter you are will make a big difference :LOL: . It is, however, a useful dodge that does work when you’re over your limit & I’ve found it invaluable in Edwardian conservatories where you’re effectively plastering a 1½ story high gable end which can be up to 4m+ high. I’ve also used it on very large ceilings which I still groan about! :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back