First plastering disaster-didnt use PVA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well i just finished plastering one of the walls in the kitchen and forgot to pva!!! I am absolutely gutted as its my first plastering attempt and looks half decent. I used the Wickes ready mix skim, and im dreading it just falling off the walls.

Oh well, i suppose we all learn from our mistakes. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Well i just finished plastering one of the walls in the kitchen and forgot to pva!!! I am absolutely gutted as its my first plastering attempt and looks half decent. I used the Wickes ready mix skim, and im dreading it just falling off the walls.

Oh well, i suppose we all learn from our mistakes. :oops:

Yep, unfortunately tends to work like that.

If you're keen to learn to plaster better, I'd suggest multi-finish (rather than a ready mix/diy), if you have another go.

Thanks buddy. Im assuming from your post its definately gonna fall off :( i dont think anyone plasters withour pva!! Lol

Sponsored Links
Thanks buddy. Im assuming from your post its definately gonna fall off :( i dont think anyone plasters withour pva!! Lol

You need to see how stable your finished result is - it may not actually fall off.

Telltale signs are usually visible thin cracks. Some bits may sound hollow when tapped and some of these bits may even fall out.
DIY ready mix may also behave differently and forgive a bit more than multi finish.
For example if the background you plastered onto was low suction e.g. a heavily emulsioned wall, you should get less suction and you may avoid cracks. But a problem could be less physical key instead and it may still be lose, or you could have got away with it completely!

You are right though with pva - you should apply it diluted (or a suitable bonding agent) first to prepare properly for plastering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back