PROBLEM ADDING ADDITIONAL MEMORY TO LAPTOP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a Fujitsu Siemens M Amilo 1450G laptop. It states that 512Mg of RAM is fitted as standard and that the max is 2Gb (fitted as 2 x 1Gb).
I have bought 2 x 1Gb. I have removed the rear cover and have found 1 x 256Mb and replaced it with 1Gb but I cannot find the other!!!
There is no way that both 1Gbs will fit in the one place.
I am stumped.
Advice would be appreciated :(

Sponsored Links
Normally the two ports will be opposite one another under the cover so I can't explain why you can't find the 2nd one. I would recommend going to http://www.crucial.com/ and running a system scan. It will tell you what your machine has and is capable of. You may also find some info there on fitting the memory

I'm not familiar with the layout of this particular laptop, but sometimes the second slot is located under the keyboard. In this case, there will be a couple of screws holding the keyboard in place for easy extraction

If you're lucky, both memory sticks can be fitted in the same place (underneath the rear cover). If there is only one slot for memory here (as you have), then the other one is usually found under the keyboard - at least on most of the laptops I have seen. Hopefully the keyboard is simple to remove and wont require taking the entire laptop apart!

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I checked the site and ran a scan as suggested. The result showed I have 1.25 Gb i.e. the new 1Gb and one of the old 256Mb (the one I cannot find to replace!)
All sites suggest the same (2 x slots each with max of 1Gb) but I'm still stumped!

Thanks for your help. Sorry Dave.M but the link showed no data for my model.
However, :LOL: I have sorted it! It's simple once you realise hoow the kayboard is fixed!

1.Undo the single screw underneath the laptop (marked K/B)

Turn the laptop back over.

2.There are 6 little black tabs that are spring loaded and you gently press each one away from the keys one by one while gentle lifting the keyboard. They are located as follows;
Left: By down arrow key
Top: By F1,F6,F11 & Insert keys
Right: By Page Down key

Gently lift the keyboard when free from the tabs (there is no need to disconnect the cable attaching the keyboard to the laptop).

Undo a single screw securing a plate to the laptop. The RAM slot is underneath this. Replace the RAM then complete the process in reverse.

Hope this helps others with the same problem!

For others information;
I have just been through the same process with a 6 year old Novatech notebook, which is effectively a Mitac 8640 machine. Same thing here, one accessible slot, the other nowhere to be seen but turns out it is on the opposite side of the main PCB to the one that is accessible. So it has to be accessed from under the keyboard. Intruction for this can be found here http://www.orphanlaptops.com/id263.htm , then once keyboard is removed there is a metal cover plate with 3 screws that covers the socket.
Hope this helps someone.

Sorry Dave.M but the link showed no data for my model.

Glyn

If you follow that link and in the first dropdown click Amilo then in the next dropdown click on M Series, you then get the product dropdown to select the M1450/1451.

It then gives a list of the specs and some detailed pictures of the portsetc on the sides.
Then it come to accessing the RAM:

RemovingKeyboard.jpg

It is just as you said but with detailed pictures to help you.

Sponsored Links
Back