Problem bleeding a radiator

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello everyone,

First of all, hi to everyone, since I'm new here

I'm having problems with a radiator at my new apartment. Summary is: when I open it, I can hear water running non-stop, but it only heats the lower corner, the rest remains cold. Obviously I thought it had air and I just needed to bleed it.

When I open the bleeding valve, I can notice air coming out for a few seconds, then it seems to stop. But no water comes out, ever, even if I leave the valve open for half an hour (with the radiator turned on), and the problem with the water running noise and only a corner of the radiator working persists.

Do you have any advice? I don't have access to the boiler, I'm in a rented apartment

Sponsored Links
Try turning heating OFF at room status. Theñ try bleeding. A bit of fairy liquid (or spit) over nipple will indicate if sucking or blowing.

Try turning heating OFF at room status. Theñ try bleeding. A bit of fairy liquid (or spit) over nipple will indicate if sucking or blowing.
Thanks for your quick reply FiremanT. I have tried closing the radiator (I don't have access to general heating, or did you mean close the water altogether?) and bleeding, but nothing comes out. I hear some air again, but cannot tell if it goes out or comes in the radiator.

Are you in Germany? Not sure about Germany but in the UK then it's the landlords responsibility to ensure it works correctly and get it fixed if it doesn't.

Sponsored Links
Are you in Germany? Not sure about Germany but in the UK then it's the landlords responsibility to ensure it works correctly and get it fixed if it doesn't.
Yes, I thought so too, but it's kind of a mess. I just moved in to a subrented apartment and the landlord is not too happy about it, I think it's better to go unnoticed for a while (plus I don't speak German..)

Thanks for your quick reply FiremanT. I have tried closing the radiator (I don't have access to general heating, or did you mean close the water altogether?) and bleeding, but nothing comes out. I hear some air again, but cannot tell if it goes out or comes in the radiator.

Try some wahing up liquid or spittle over the bleeding nipple. This will indicate if in or out. Have you no access to a room thermostat? Which may be a small box on the wall. Turn this right down. If the radiator socks in the spit and you have no thermostat them you are Kaput I am afraid.

Try some wahing up liquid or spittle over the bleeding nipple. This will indicate if in or out. Have you no access to a room thermostat? Which may be a small box on the wall. Turn this right down. If the radiator socks in the spit and you have no thermostat them you are Kaput I am afraid.
Yeap, I'm afraid that's the case... There are no bubbles, so I guess the air is going in. Plus I don't have any thermostat (unless it's as hidden as a safe), I believe this apartment was separated from the rest of the house and it is still controlled from there.

Thanks a lot anyway for your help, I guess it's time for me to open Google Translate and start complaining :)

Was in a home a while back fitting a radiator and the guy said his upstairs radiators only heat up half way.
For years he had tried bleeding them and nothing ever came out.

Isolator which was hidden in the airing cupboard was fitted on the cold feed and someone had turned it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back