Problem ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Preparing my parents' kitchen prior to having a new kitchen fitted in a few weeks. Managed to get the artex off the ceiling (that and lots of grease and nicotine ...bleurgh). Ceiling isn't too bad, just a few lumps and bumps which I thought I'd cover with Polycell Crack Free Ceiling (had some left over from my kitchen).

Put the first coat on the other night and went back to put another one and noticed a raised patch...touched it and it basically had 'blown'. I think I'll have to try and strip it off/sand it down and start again.

Can anyone suggest some paint that might be more appropriate?

Sponsored Links
You've got to get all the grease off or nothing will stick to it.

? the grease was on the top of the artex - which has all been stripped off - the surface was clean and dry!

Sponsored Links
May have been too dry so all the moisture was sucked out of the filler and it didn't have a chance to stick.

I would chip out all the blown areas and check how absorbent the substrate is, if it soaks up water dead quick, its too dry, if it doesn't, its grease

If its the former, seal the plaster with a 1:5 PVA/water mix and then reapply the filler.

If its the latter, give it a good wash & rinse with sugar soap first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back