Problem Connecting Bar Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new here as I've just retired and started my own DIY.

My problem is not so much the shower but fitting the bloody thing.

Where it fits is a single tile without anything behind it. I mean no plaster or concrete board just a 7mm thick tile. So basically the raw plug just spins as you try to insert screw. Everything was followed as per instructions i.e. 8mm drill etc but not banking on having no purchase for plug. Any ideas how to overcome the problem?

So far I have tried larger screw, bigger plug etc. Can't use the plaster board type contracting sort as the thickness of the tile is so narrow it doesn't close up to 7mm. Only one I can think of is the spring type plug, but means I will have to drill the 8mm hole out to 14mm and it's very close to the pipe hole, so chance cracking the tile... Helppp

Sponsored Links
Unless I'm missing something......

You can't fix the bar to just a tile

1) There is no support for the fixing
2) The tile alone cannot support the bar - it will either crack or pull off

The obvious question is how you have laid the tile with nothing behind it?

Is it possible to pump some grip fill into the holes so that it gives the tile a bit of support, then set the plug into the grip fill?

Sponsored Links
Explanding floam? ;)

or.. remove tiles(s) and batten-out something substantial before a patch board and re-tile over...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back