General points: fitting wc's and basins

G

Goldspoon

WC's: I appreciate these should be screwed to the floor but what are the thoughts on also neatly bedding the pan on sealant even if bottom rim is narrow (I find I dare not crank the screws too tight in case I crack the porcelain)?

Basins: Screw to wall yes - but silicon as well between wall and tile? Also I fitted one yesterday with silicon between the base of the pedestal and the floor - this because the two holes at the foot of the pedestal were so close to the pedestal edge that the porcelain looked wafer thin (poor quality stuff). Today the pedestal is solidly in place. Anybody routinely not screw them to the floor?

Drilling holes in tile: just using masonary drills and bloody slow sometimes (even at 8mm)... any better alternatives?

Thks

Sponsored Links
I keep a tile cutting bit in my kit. If i need a larger hole i use this then enlarge with masonary bit. Quick with the tile cutter, slow with the masonary bit but quicker than trying to core into the tile through the unbroken glaze......

Basins depends on what i am fixing to. Solid wall and screws with washers will do usually. You can also use the bolts and plastic nuts if you need a more secure fix. No silicon needed then. Never has need to just silicon a pedestal.....always used screws.

Always screw down pans even on concrete.....you get a big A***d bloke on one and it moves!!! I use washers to spread load and if the floor is rough a bed of silicone but only to fill in any uneveness.....each to there own

Drilling holes in tile: just using masonary drills and b****y slow sometimes (even at 8mm)... any better alternatives?

Thks

You can buy diamond tile drill bits nowadays from about £10 for an 8mm bit or you can buy a kit with sizes right up to 45mm for about £49 from the likes of B&Q. Essential if your drilling porcelain.marble or stone tiles but also pretty good for ceramic tiles.

Sponsored Links
drill hole in tile.

simple.
fix electrical tape over tile.
hold drill firmly & start drill without hammer.
no skating about.
once through tile its hammer time.

make sure hole through tile larger than rawl plug hole in wall so as when screw is tightened it will not crack tile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back