?problem replacing cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed the cistern as it was leaking somewhere. It is a Shires make put in our new build 26 yrs ago. Got a new close coupling kit from Screwfix. Watched all the videos on how to do this, (always looks easy doesn't it?), Got the new syphon down pipe in. Dudley, put new bottom plastic nut on, tightening up found you need 3 hands, syphon pipe turns, metal plate turns as you tighten!. Got there eventually, placed cistern back in place, tightening the wing nuts is bending the plate, now have a gap on one side visible from the front. Cistern level as screw to wall lined up ok, only one side, hole the other side had no screw, fount they had drilled the hole in plaster board with water supply pipe to the loo behind it!! Question is should the plate bend like it has, the rusted up one I took off hadn't bent. Do I fill up and take a chance or should I look for a stronger plate?

Sponsored Links
Something is wrong there and I fear it will leak (badly). The plate shouldnt bend so can I ask were the wingnuts tightened little by little, one side then other and hand tight or grips tight.

Did you tighten the bolts up evenly? Unscrew it from the wall and adjust both wing nuts, then do a test flush. Screwing to the wall is the last thing you do, you can even put some silicone on the cistern to fix it to the wall.

Andy

Tried to tighten evenly but how has the plate bent? Will try a readjust. There are 411 reviews of this on Screwfix but after scrolling through loads of them, not all, can't see anyone else having this problem but on reviews of these on Amazon on different products a few people do mention the plate bending.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I have rescued the old one out of the bin, it is a bit thicker. Just derusting it at the moment. Will try with that one.

Hi Just Pumps, I tightened the wing nuts alternately a bit at a time. I took cistern off again but plate did not look bent when off. Cleaned up old plate as it seemed a bit thicker. Cistern did not look even when I put it back on, leaned over to the right slightly. Held it level while tightening wing nuts then screwed it to the wall. Struggling then to get supply pipe to screw on, also cistern caught the top of the overflow pipe and it broke at the bottom bend. Another problem to sort out. Gave up for the day at this point as I was sweating buckets. To resume today, and see what else can go wrong.

It sounds to me as though you have put a new doughnut washer on, and the new one is much thicker than the old one, there are quite a few different thicknesses/shapes available, you may want to change it to a thinner one.
Also, some are quite firm rubber that won't compress, others are like a soft sponge that will.

Reactions: CBW
Yes did put a new doughnut washer on, did seem quite firm. Have it back in place waiting to connect mains connection. If leaks will check doughnut but how to check them if bought online?

finally got it back together and no leaks so far, only flushed it once at the moment. Had to change the Torbeck fill valve to a Fluidmaster with a brass shank, which I had in reserve as trying to get 6" flexi tail to screw on to plastic one I got it cross threaded, only a short tail and it does not have a lot of movement. Fluidmaster was a tight fit on the cistern sides but finally got it working. Now the broken overflow pipe, see photo, if I get some new piping and 90 degree bend will I be able to hammer the pipe through from outside, on ground floor, and if I can get it out more to the point will I be able to push some new pipe through easily? OR could I get the remains of the old 90 degree bend off by heating with a hair drier to loosen the glue?

s

Attachments

• IMG_20220815_131346462.jpg
    IMG_20220815_131346462.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 34
Your siphon may well have an internal overflow ,if so ,you could remove the overflow standpipe from the cistern ,and fit a plug.

Depending on your skill set, you might be able to cut along the broken elbow lengthways and break with a thin screwdriver blade - I’ve done this several times with success.

Thanks terryplumb and CBW, have a Dudley Edge syphon, meant to mention this, I realise it has an internal overflow wanted to plug old one but the other half wanted a back up in case internal one did not work, not worth arguing with her! Will try to cut old bend lengthways and see if it will prise off as you suggest CBW. Thanks both.

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back