problem replacing wall mounted side valves!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I’m hoping someone could help with a (potentially stupid) question.

The bathroom taps in a flat I have recently moved into are all wall-mounted (both basin and bath). They are also terrible quality and are falling apart. Not surprisingly, the manufacturer went bankrupt some time ago. I purchased some ½ basin side taps as replacements, assuming I could do a straight switch. I can literally pull the old valves off the wall (link below), but they don’t fit – the back plate doesn’t fit over the existing pipework, so I can’t push them on.

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/s...2--el-195-c/?gclid=CP-z_cGq-7sCFanjwgodCA0AVg

It looks to me that the basin and bath taps are identical. The few spare bits and bobs the older owners left (including a brass t-bar/female pipe thread) are bigger than the pipework that was attached to the Sagittarius valves linked above. I always thought ½ was standard for basins, and ¾ for baths, but could they have just used the same size pipework and taps for both? And if that is the case, is it a problem, and would there be any reason why I couldn’t buy a ¾ size side valve and push that straight on?

Thanks for any assistance!

Sponsored Links
bumping your own thread is probably bad form, so apologies! but does anyone have any ideas? thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back