Problem shutting off hot water, at one tap only.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Basically struggling with one tap (downstairs bathroom), where i've shut the supply off to the hot water cylinder and i cannot drain the remaining hot water from the pipe to this one tap. All other taps will run dry, but not this one. Is my only real option to drain the whole hot water system? It's not a torrent of water from this tap, but it's not a drip either, so i felt too much to go ahead and disconnect the tap. I'm pretty inexperienced with plumbing. :)

Sponsored Links
It is best to drain from the ground floor tap 1st if you have turned off a gate valve (red wheel) then they are not reliable for turning water off completely. You may need to put a rubber tapered bung in the cold outlet to hot water situated in near the bottom of the large tank in the loft. You can buy the rubber bungs in a plumbing shop, they are sold in pairs.

Thanks. Was hoping not have to do the rubber bung trick, but i will definitely remember for the future.

I think it is stopping now tho. When i shut the tap it won't build up any pressure behind, and it is just a short trickle. Now starting to drip too.

Could it be my tap is that worn that it doesn't really open fully, and therefore makes it difficult to drain. We've had problems with several other taps sticking. Only a 10 yr old house, but pretty low budget plumbing. Definetely in need of replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back