Problem Sink Taps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing a refit on a friends kitchen and i have come across a small problem with the kitchen taps. They are good quality peglar ones, but the small soft washer they come with is very poor. I am unable to secure the taps enough ( stop them turning or wobbling) with this flimsy washer. Would some top hat washer be better?, allowing me to ensure that the taps are firmly attached to the sink. Any advice/help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Replace the plastic backnuts with brass ones (B&Q etc) and do them up tight....all taps should have them John :)

the back nuts are indeed brass, just cant get it tight enough though to keep the taps stable. It seems to me there should be more " packing " between the brass nut and the sink.

are you saying your coming to the end of the thread before they are tight ?

Sponsored Links
Yep I know what you mean...I've used a piece of 18mm ply between the backnut and the sink on occasion....spreads the load too and supports the taps better. If you use silicone between the tap base and the sink it just allows the taps to skid about. Maybe the thread on the underside of the tap isn't quite up to the tap body? I use a deep drive socket with extension bar and 1/2" ratchet wrench to tighten the backnut up.
Cheers John :)

Secco - The tap is installed with tap then washer, this is then put through the hole and the brass backnut is tightened up as far as i can do it against the stainless steel sink. There is still a little thread there but i cannot tighten it up any further no matter how hard i try. Will go and get some top hat washers tomorrow and hopefully this will help.

Have you used flexible tap tails? Rigid pipework helps to stiffen up the whole assembly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back