problem wiring up a dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can anyone help please I am trying to wire a 2 way dimmer switch the problem I have is there is 3 earth wires going to back off box and then I have 3 blue wires going into one block then I have 3 brown wire which one off these is a live wire and the other two are switch wires iknow which one is live and which 2 are the switch now you still with me on the 2way dimmer I have com L1 L2 and com L1 L2 I have one main light and then 2 spot lights I just cant get them all to work together the way I see it is that you put a link between the 2 coms so you get live between both but where do the other wires go can anyone help please

Sponsored Links
If you know which one is the incoming live (say gang one) and the two that are outgoing switch live then you need to provide a link between the gang one and gang two com. Small piece of insulated 1mm ² cable will do. That will give you live in to both switches.
Then put one of the switch lives in each of the L1's.
Added thought, leave the blue neutral block as is - if your dimmer is metal then you need to add an earth cable from the dimmer to the back box.

thank you riveralt I have done that I have 2 earth already in back box and one earth from dimmer to back box I have put a sep red wire to link them together then I put the live into one com is this right then put one switch wire into LI on one of the blocks then put the other wire into L1 in the other box and have left the 3 blue wire on there own in one connection block if this is right then there must be something also iam not doing did I say the main light has 3 small screw bulbs and then two other lights that are spot light with no transformer thank you again for help

If you have correctly identified the live into the switch then to confirm it goes into Com1 and then the link wire into Com1 and Com2.
Then take one of your switch lives and put it into L1 on the first gang and the second switch live to L1 on the second gang.
This should now be wire correctly.
Check that the dimmer can handle the load(s) you are placing on it.
For example some dimmers have a range of min 40/max 200w or thereabouts per gang. Also some lamps do not like to be dimmed.

Be aware some dimmers are more robust than others and if you have incorrectly wired the dimmer and turned the power on you may well have fried the components.

If you still cannot get the dimmer to work wired as suggested and you are sure that the lamps come within the range of the dimmer then try wiring a single gang switch using your (live in wire) in the C and one of the switch live wires in L1 - if this works try the same for the second switch live.

If both of the lamps work then you may have fried your dimmer.

Sponsored Links
thanks again for your help I try that and you could be right in the matter of it may not be able to handle the load or I may have blown it I will try what you have said and thank you again for your help

If you come back you might like to try a bit of punctuation, so that your posts are readable.

Full marks to riveralt, but I really could not be bothered to try and cope with your appalling writing. Try printing your posts so far and asking someone to read them to you out loud, exactly as written, with no pauses whatsoever, and see how they sound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back