problem with CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would be really obliged if someone could help with the following problem with my mums central heating - she was having problems with air getting into the system but this has now been solved, the problem now is that when HW is selected (and heating), the HW works but the CH stops. I have checked the motorised valves and they are functioning correctly. It is a vented system (Ideal Mexico Slimline). What seems to be happening is the water is taking the path of least resistance round the HW tank and not round the CH circuit as well. Any ideas would be greatly received as I am trying to keep it going through the winter after which my mum will be 75 and eligible for some assistance in changing to a new boiler.

Tim

Sponsored Links
Looks like that's going to be difficult as you have no balancing valve fitted, how good is yer plumbing skills?

Matt

who fitted that abortion

No idea - was probably done around 20 years ago, well before my mum bought the house. I look forward to the whole lot getting ripped out next year and a combi fitted. Over the years it has been a bit of nightmare for airlocks when it has been drained and refilled.

Matt - pretty good at plumbing (fitted an entire system in my own new build less the gas obviously), I just can't seem to get to the bottom of this problem..

Sponsored Links
you need to add a gate valve to the bottom pipe coming off the cylinder
you then use it to trim down the flow through the coil until its balanced with the rad circuit

Matt

Nothing wrong with that apart from no gate valve and having the wrong type of pump valves fitted by some cheapskate recently!

One of my ex-work colleagues is 90 in three days. He only gave up cycling 10-15 miles a day five years ago!

Tony

Try turning the cylinder stat down, it looks too high. 50c or less... as low as you can get away with.

Also, turning up the pump speed will help. It looks like it's on 1?? Try 2 or maybe 3.

thanks for the responses - will fit a gate valve tomorrow and see how it goes. Curious as to why it has been running fine up until now?

thanks for the responses - will fit a gate valve tomorrow and see how it goes. Curious as to why it has been running fine up until now?

Try the pump speed and cyl stat first, save yourself the bother of fitting a gate valve for now.

thanks for the reply - the pump speed is on the middle setting from memory, and the cylinder stat seems to be fine - I unclipped the motorised valve and manually set it to open to rule it out.

Andygasman2010";p="2604693 said:
What's the cylinder stat set to?

Do you mean you set the CH valve manually open?[/quote

Cylinder stat is set to 65 and it was the HW valve I manually opened (but its back on now)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back