Problem with draughts on my new upvc porch door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
just had new porch fitted in last few days. Problems with the door being 7/8mm difference top and bottom edge. Contractors have repositioned frame at bottom and its now not too bad but the rubber gasket is not touching at the top edge, if I lift handle its somewhat better. Contractor says that the door will settle down and bed in after a few weeks, seems crazy excuses to me. My query is should the door seal, without the handle being lifted. I thought the handle being lifted was to engage the 5 or 6 point locking mechanism.
Thanks for any tips
Dave

Yes it is UPCV

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Assuming it is PVC:

If it's not touching at the top and then it settles down, the gap will be bigger won't it?

Get them back and kick up a fuss.

You're completely right Dave; the door should touch the frame at all points when you pull it shut, and lifting the handle then secures it. If you put a spirit level on both sides of the door frame, you'll find one of them out. As EFL says, call them back, and get it redone.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the door was not measured properly and certainly not fitted correctly. I would demand they sort it.

Hi,
just had new porch fitted in last few days. Problems with the door being 7/8mm difference top and bottom edge. Contractors have repositioned frame at bottom and its now not too bad but the rubber gasket is not touching at the top edge, if I lift handle its somewhat better. Contractor says that the door will settle down and bed in after a few weeks, seems crazy excuses to me. My query is should the door seal, without the handle being lifted. I thought the handle being lifted was to engage the 5 or 6 point locking mechanism.
Thanks for any tips
Dave

Yes it is UPCV

Do you mean when you push the door shut on the latch, it sits flush against the draught seal at the bottom, but sits away at the top?

If so, either the door is bowed / twisted or the frame is badly fitted. The best way to fit a door frame is to wedge in position and fit door, close door and move frame around until door fits nice. Screw frame in place making sure wedge frame packers are located at each fixing point.

Upvc door sets are quite flexible so care is needed to keep them straight and square.

No it will not settle in! It needs sorting out.

On the latch, the door may not sit perfectly. Raising the handle engages the bolts, which are designed to compress the weatherseals. 7mm to 8mm not right thoigh

Back