Problem with Drive F : CDRW

Yes, replace the O/S... with something other than ME. Windows 98 SE is much more stable.

Sponsored Links
salem2000 said:
Same applies really, XP is just a newer version of ME. Only difference is XP works, "Just".

Tried ME when launched, went back to 98SE till XP. Still think 98SE was better, other half likes the look of XP, as for backward compatabillity I dont think Microsoft know the meaning of the word. Cost a fortune in new programs.

XP is ME updated? Nooooooo tis not. Completely different as it's based on NT source and does not sit on dos. I'm not too keen on it either far too many annoying bugs and unnecessary bells and whistles for my liking, plus it needs bucket loads of RAM to work well. Maybe Windows Leghorn (Longhorn) will be better but I won't hold my breath on it. Win2000 Pro isn't too bad for stability.

securespark said:
I do not know how to access details of what version nero i have - any clues?

I'll try first to download updates to see if that helps. Then maybe the more involved- expensive solutions!

PS. I can find these files on the system, if that helps you to understand

SVCD_X.IMP

MPG2SPLT.AX

Version no's are usually in the programs Help>About menu.

SVCD_X.IMP Seems to be a file from Cyberlink Power DVD so may be on an install disk.

The other one is available fromHere should you need it.

Studders said:
XP is ME updated? Nooooooo tis not. Completely different as it's based on NT source and does not sit on dos.

plus it needs bucket loads of RAM to work well. Win2000 Pro isn't too bad for stability.

I didn't say or mean to imply that XP is ME Updated, just an updated version of windows. I use NT 4 (build 1381) every day at work, so I know what XP is based on.

Bucket loads of RAM, XP will quite happily run on 128Meg (entry level now) without much problems, yes it requires more, but the main reason we need more RAM is we want more functions from the programs we use now, consequently these programs require more and more memory to carry out these functions.

DOS is used in a great deal of programs, even Windows NT/XP carries dos in some form, otherwise some of the programs wouldn't run.

Despite their similar appearance, however, Windows NTs DOS environment and true MS-DOS are different. To begin with, MS-DOS runs the base operating system and any running applications in one shared memory space. As a result, applications can easily cross their boundaries in memory and overwrite important operating system or application code, causing a system lockup. Also, MS-DOS is only capable of running one application at a time. Windows NT, on the other hand, is capable of running many DOS applications (multitasking). Individual DOS applications are protected from each other as well as from the Windows NT operating system through Windows NT’s subsystem.

Sponsored Links
XP will run quite 'happily' with 40 meg of RAM, whether the user will be happy with its performance is doubtful especially if they start loading anything other than notepad. To get any credible performance from XP you need at least 512MB Ram and preferably much more.
Yes I know Dos and emulated DOS, as in XP, are different, XP is not a shell running on dos as previous windows versions were. Also NT and XP are multiuser but they are not true multitasking they just give the impression that they are.

Studders said:
Also NT and XP are multiuser but they are not true multitasking they just give the impression that they are.

Actually, XP and NT ARE true multitasking. Older versions of Windows were not multitasking, rather multiple program loading (MPL).

AdamW said:
Studders said:
Also NT and XP are multiuser but they are not true multitasking they just give the impression that they are.

Actually, XP and NT ARE true multitasking. Older versions of Windows were not multitasking, rather multiple program loading (MPL).

Beat me to it.

You'll be hard pushed to find a PC on sale with less than 128Meg RAM, let alone 40Meg. 128 is entry level, with memory at less than £25 for 256Meg people don't care how much the PC needs. They just fit it.

AdamW said:
Studders said:

Errrr no they're not. The OS allocates processor time, the processor only performs one set of instructions from whatever program the OS has decided should have its attention at that time. It may cycle instructions or execute them dependant on instructions it has received. That is NOT true multitasking it is pre-emptive multitasking.

salem2000 said:
AdamW said:
Studders said:

Beat me to it.

You'll be hard pushed to find a PC on sale with less than 128Meg RAM, let alone 40Meg. 128 is entry level, with memory at less than £25 for 256Meg people don't care how much the PC needs. They just fit it.

Err did I say PC's came with 40MB? Don't think I did. And I think you'll find most PC specs state 256MB as entry level.

I stand corrected on the multitasking issue. :oops:

PC's are still being sold with 128meg RAM, so entry level is still 128, however "most" PC's have 256meg. You can have a PC with 3Gb of Ram, but it will only run as fast as the slowest component in the machine.

But I think this is a petty argument ,and is not the issue at hand, is it.

salem2000 said:
But I think this is a petty argument ,and is not the issue at hand, is it.

Err.. no. Now, about that argument... :LOL:

MMJ

Yes, Nero is booted up, yes I have the logo in the tray, INCD is not launched, when inserting disk. Nothing happens except the activity led fires up then goes off.

The machine refuses to accept the disc is there at all.

Secure,

if you have the Nero application running this will prevent InCd from launching when you insert the disc.

Alternatively, use Nero to produce the disc? This can then be played in a Dvd player, which is nice!

Oh, and try another disc, you can get bad discs!

Should have said that first!!!!

Good luck!

Check what size disc you are using!!!!

I recently bought some new blank CD's and after thinking they were all dodgy discovered my CD Writer was too old to handle 80minute CDs!!!!

Sponsored Links
Back