Problem with emulsion painting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hopefully someone can advise, I'm painting in a house which is approx. 15 years old, all of the rooms painted by me at some time where when I apply the first coat ( just changing colour of wall), the emulsion paint "snatches" off. I could be cutting in and have painted a strip along the ceiling line of say 2 to 3M and if I go back with the brush, the paint comes off. This also happens with a roller.

On the second coat, the paint goes on perfectly. It would appear to happen on a plaster board wall as opposed to a solid brick wall. I generally use Dulux Endurance matt

Sponsored Links
Might be a coating of dirt on the wall, especially if it happens high up.

The wall has previously been painted, right? And the previous emulsion is not coming off? Is the old paint matt?

Hi and thanks,walls were washed and lightly sanded, the original paint is not coming off, just the new paint. You would nearly think it was drying virtually immediately and as soon as the brush or roller hits it for the second time, it takes it back off again. Once it dries, 2nd coat goes on perfectly. I should also say it happens on all parts of the wall, ie high-up, middle and the bottom

thanks, I thought you only used PVA on a wall if it was brand new plaster. Is this unibond you are referring to.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for this info, I have another room to paint where two of the walls are plaster board

thanks, I thought you only used PVA on a wall if it was brand new plaster. Is this unibond you are referring to.
NO NO NO ! you never use PVA on walls or anything else - under paint!

Thanks for this advice, would you have any advice on how to overcome my problem. Starting a room next week which has 2 walls which are Plaster Board and I believe I will have the same problem.

You said the walls were washed and then sanded. Did you remove all of the dust after sanding? If you didn't, that is the most likely cause of the issue - always ensure dust is removed with a damp cloth or sponge before painting.

Is the a heavy smoker in the house, do you use open fires, would there be contamination of the surface to be painted?

Have you tried good old fashioned sugar soap and then a rinse off?

On the paint, is it new, has it been stored at user temp prior to application?

Hi and thanks, I can confirm the following;

1: No smokers in the House

2: Walls washed with Sugar Soap and rinsed as per instructions

3: Paint stored indoors ( much to my wife's dislike)

4: No open fires in the house, Oil fired central heating

5: No contamination on the surface, only a bedroom. This problem only happens on Plasterboard walls not solid brick.

Strange one. Only on plasterboard and the previous coating stays and it only your new coating that lifts.

Have you tried another paint type such as Dulux trade or even a completely different Co?

No, I haven't tried another paint, as I like Dulux Endurance. It doesn't happen in my house, only in my daughters. I had a painter in last year painting her hall, and I remember him saying the paint snatches a lot and was drying very quickly, but the second coat went on with no problem. I didn't think at the time to ask him why.

This is what happens when you paint vinyl matt over contract matt. You need to thin your paint by about 25% for the first coat (mist coat).

This is what happens when you paint vinyl matt over contract matt.

Absolute nonsense. You are making up scenarios in your head because you don't like the way a debate with me in a previous thread went. If the OP is painting over contract matt, when they washed the wall, the contract matt would have been coming off as it is not water resistant, but seeing as how they said,

....the original paint is not coming off,....

you have clearly just proven that your imagination is running wild.

Get a grip, joe, and stop turning peoples queries into your own little argumentative agenda.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back