Problem with Ford Fiesta alternator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a 2002 Mark V Ford Fiesta, 1.6L, 16V Duratec engine. I had the battery warning light come on during a long journey, with the net result that the electrics cut out on me on the road (yeah, I know, I should have called out the RAC when I first saw it, you learn something every day :)

A nice man form the RAC measured the voltage across the battery terminals and said that the level was quite erratic, but it was showing around 14.9V, which was apparently too high. To cut a long story short, he disconnected a lead from the alternator to bring the voltage levels down, enabling me to get back home (albeit with the battery warning light still on).

Having done a bit of research, I think he removed the 'smart charge' lead, which meant that the alternator was using its internal regulation rather than being controlled by the ECU - does this sound correct?

I took it to a local garage and they fitted a new regulator. The battery voltage is now within normal range, but the battery warning light is still permanently on :( They have checked the fuses and checked the wiring, but can't find a problem. They tried a hardware diagnostic thingie but it didn't return any errors.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Would I be better off taking it to a Ford garage? I don't use the car heavily, but I do have to go somewhere this Friday :(

--Jon

Sponsored Links
Best take it to an auto electrician - they usually know what they are doing.

Peter

Has the wire that was disconnected been reconnected?

Check what wires are connected. Normally the only thing that brings on the battery light on is the alternator itself via a wire...

Sponsored Links
Yes usually the alternator or the ignition switch might be faulty? But usually
you will have other ignition switch problems as well?

Disconnect the small wire from the back of the alternator and the light should be off, even with the ignition on (engine not running)is it?

Back