Problem with Garage Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a concrete garage with corrugated asbestos roof.During freezing conditions,the roof seems to hold water and later in the day,when the temp.rises the frozen water melts and drips into the garage on to my car!!

Has anyone experienced this or know of any thing i could do to rectify it?The garage is about 20 years old and has done this virtually since it was built.The only thing i have tried is a plastic tarpaulin tied inside to catch the water,hardly an ideal solution!!

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Sponsored Links
it's simply condensation.

the warmth created by the car engine is heating the moist air in the garage, which, as soon as it hits the very cold roof, condenses.

insulation & ventilation are the best ways to help stave off condensation.

noseall said:
it's simply condensation.

the warmth created by the car engine is heating the moist air in the garage, which, as soon as it hits the very cold roof, condenses.

insulation & ventilation are the best ways to help stave off condensation.
Thanks for your reply but we are talking large amounts of water here it s if it is held by the roof and then released,i can tip the plastic sheet up and have a bath in the Contents!!!

The car is not used daily,i have tried heaters and leaving the doors open for hours on end but nothing helps,its as if the water is soaked in the roof and then released.My next door neighbour with a similar garage has no problem apart from as suggested a bit of condensaton.

No possibility of a leak? Is your roof painted on either side?

Sponsored Links
Deluks said:
No possibility of a leak? Is your roof painted on either side?
The roof is not painted.I wondered if painting would help.I thought of using a bitumin type paint but not really sure.i don't want liquid bitumin all over my mx5!!.The roof is water tight during heavy rain.I did contact the suppliers many years ago and they sent some technical info.,that meant nothing to me ,and more or less said it would improve with age!!

Painting wont help. You dont have a washing machine/tumble dryer in there do you?

No,nothing like that in there,and as i say it only happens when the weather is freezing,even after a dry spell it still does it which makes it even more of a mystery!!

If global warming continues it may just cure itself!!,otherwise i may have to consider a new roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back