problem with GU10 240V AC LIGHTS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have an issue with my communal lights in a hallway in my house. There are 7 x 50w GU10 spotlights 240v . 2 days ago the lights went out and will not relight. This has not tripped any MCB`s or RCD (as it is a 17th edition consumer unit). There are 4 switches in total in the circuit. 2 x 2way and 2 x intermediate light switches outside of the bedrooms. I have used a digital multimeter to test the switches and they are fine. switching correctly and since the house was only re-wired last year (by myself) i know that there is no issue there. I have removed all lamps from the spotlights and tested the connections at the lampholder choc blocks and i am reading 170v L-N and 230v L-E. when testing the switch side i am reading 230v L(feed)-E and also 230v L(switch) so i dont think it is breaking down on the switch end.
a full inspection was done 4-5 months ago and passed with flying colours but i know it is only as good as an M.O.T
I have also tried to plug the lamps that aren't working into a proven circuit on the same level and they are working
so i am still stumped as to why the lights wont work. They do glow for a fraction of a second but then do not start up at all.
i have had issues before with bad lamps and replaced the lamps bringing all the lights back on.
could it be contact deteriation? (they have been in less than a yr)
any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Lost/high resistance neutral somewhere on the circuit before the first light, if as I read it none of them work.

thanks i thought as much, i will pick up a neutral from a circuit on the same circuit and confirm the wiring.

Sponsored Links
You still need to find the point of the problem neutral because:-

current² x resistance = power (which in this instance) = heat = ?

my communal lights in a hallway in my house. ~~~~~ a full inspection was done 4-5 months ago and passed with flying colours

Communal hallway ? Is this a house of multiple occupancy with members of more than one family sharing the hallway for access ?

If so then you may need to check on the legalities of how the wiring was inspected before the fault you have creates an claim for injury ( due to darkness ) or a fire.

As others have said a high resistance neutral which you appear to have can present a serious risk of fire.

no it is one family but a reasonable large hallway connecting bedrooms and bathrooms. (35ft ish). No what i mean is i will disconnect each fitting as they are on click connectors and try and find the fault first. checking terminations as they could be loose or maybe the lampholders

thank you for your comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back