Problem with hotpoint wma 74

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Have the above mentioned washer that has recently got louder during its cycle. Reported out to Comet (under extended warranty). First guy who came out diagnosed the following faults

Drum Assy split
Heater Faulty
Motor
Door seal
spider bushes

Comet said they were going to repair rather than replace. I even offered £100 towards the new machine.

Guy who came out fitted the following parts according to his completed job sheet

Door seal
heater
Motor
Inner drum tub.

Used the machine for 2 washes and on the 2nd wash the drum staterd hitting the front back and sides of the outer casing. Re-reported and the same guy who fitted the above parts cam out and refiited the suspension pegs. Once again we used the machine for 2 washes and the same thing happened again. It has now been over 1 month since reporting and we still have a broken machine. Spoke to Comet today who have said the engineer who comes out tomorrow will have to do another report and then he ultimately makes the decison if to write the machine off. With the parts that have been claimed to be fitted would it have come with new pegs or is something else screwy. I was not around when the "new" parts were fitted but my partner reckons it was a large white/cream unit that got fitted

Cheers for any help

Sponsored Links
no idea what was changed, what do you want us to say?

I can guess the "large cream unit" was the outer tub

drum comes in 3 pieces rear drum half, front half, inner drum ,he needs to change suspension with NEW PEGS not the old ones

Ok thanks I guess he has not fitted new pegs or suspension. I was after general advice as I would have thought with all the parts fitted it would have been more economical to replace (especially now has this is the 4th visit). Also a whole month without your machine is far too long under a warranty that has been paid for I would have thought.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well another wasted visit, confirmed that the peg had fallen out. He has re-fitted the same peg and tested the machine without any linen in it. First wash results in loud tapping during the spin cycle and a drum that wobbles around. You can feel something tapping at the side of the machine. Wash finished and you can easily rock the drum back and forward and make it hit the rear of the machine. Something isn't right.Phoned comet and they want to send another engineer so this will be the 5th visit!

pressure pipe is loose not clipped to side of drum ,tell comet he must fit new pegs and suspension,tell him while hes doing it you will feed his horse outside , cowboy hi oh silver

Nice one rocks, you have just made the whole family laugh. Had a bad day today, somone has broken into my car a bent the door frame wrecked the lock and bent the steering wheel. Comet are jokers

I never renew the suspension pegs when I do these machines (or Zanussis) but have never had one come loose. The correct technique for removal is to push a 13mm ring spanner onto the pointed end of the pin then pull on the hex end with pliers.

fidom ok I guess the joker who changed the tub has damaged the original ones when removing perhaps. Although I have just has a peek underneath and it appears that both pegs are present and correct but the tub is very loose inside the machine. It can easily be pushed backwards inside the chassis and hit the rear of the machine.

yes the drum does do that , you prob havent noticed this before but the tapping noise is the pipe on the side

Thanks again, just compared between this machine and a bosch and the bosch is far more stiffer to push where as the Hp you can push with one finger. Perhaps the suspension is worn is there any test they should be performing to check this. Will they be able to get new suspension or is it a write off (hopefully as I have had enough). I reckon they are going to do the utmost to repair as the warranty has now run out! What do you reckon would be a reasonable length of time to expect any repair to last as it would be quite easy for them to bodge it just to get a couple of weeks fixed then play the out of warranty trump card

depending on what model bosch some have 4 legs on suspension dont compare bosch with hotpoint ones cheap and ones expensive ,if your mc hasnt worked for 6 weeks you can claim mc is not fit for the purpose ,see sale of goods act 1979 ,tell "tonto " comet eng to say cabinet is twisted and he can write mc off with that excuse ,if your policy is covered by dng domestic and general ins he can call them to out price the job cost wise ,failing that kidnap him and dont let him go ,trust me that will work , :LOL:

There should be a guarantee on the repair irrespective of the extended warranty dates. I would expect this to run for 12 months or perhaps a shorter period from the date of last repair, although it only covers the parts and workmanship involved in the job concerned, not the whole machine.

Guys you are the best. Will make sure I am around and suggest the chassis. The Bosch I am comparing to is logix xx wft2806gb but like you say I am probably compairing apples to rotten apples. Saying that at the time of purchase the machine was £419 plus the warranty! I think I am going to struggle to get them to write it off as they have "invested" so much time (how will they view the cowboys who have put all the parts on to no avail). But as you say it could be time to start exercising my rights unders the sales of goods act as amended 1979 which I am more than familiar with. Had a couple of small claims court before for similar issues with TV's and always won. Trouble is this time I have had almost 5 years service from it. The warranty was underwritten with AIG, have been onto the Comet side of this and they just gave me the now out of warranty spill.

Still the warranty was paid for in good faith and as such should also be fit for purpose. Note I did not purchase the warranty some one else did, I would not purchase a warranty as I would prefer to rely on my statutory rights.

Out of interest what was the point in the guy fixing it in the first place surely it would have been less hassle for him to right it off. Or do they get a bonus for a repair against a write off. Woudl comet have told them to try and reapir as only 1 month was remaining on the warranty?

Cheers again

Cheers again and will let you know how I get on

Well the saga continues. The engineer decided to turn up despite our explicit instructions to call 1 of 2 mobiles as we were both out but only 3 minutes away. So missed the service call.

Phoned comet and once again they are useless they reckon they did not have our mobile numbers and blamed us for not being in (despite our instructions) they have called us on the 2nd visit on our mobiles. I asked for the voice recordings of my conversations (under the freedom of information act 2000) and they reckon that they do not record calls to the call centre. Explained that over 1 month is not a reasonable length of time for a repair and there lame excuse was that you get unlimited repairs ( I though that this was more a bonus that a policy does not limit you to x repairs not something that is in their favour)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back