Problem with loss of power when Vectra is running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Around Christmas time I requested help regarding a fault with the temperature guage not working in my Vectra diesel 1.9 sxi (54 plate). Thank you to everyone who provided suggestions, even though the problem has still not been resolved. Unfortunately I now have a more serious problem. The car keeps losing power as I am driving along. I had a diagnostic test done and it said that there was a problem in the inlet manifold (the bar that goes across the top had come off), the garage quoted me over £1000 for repairs and basically said the engine was wrecked (only done 65K miles). I then managed to get the broken piece to fit back on, but this does not seem to have solved the problem.
When the power goes, it is almost as if something is getting blocked, as when you drop a gear and give it a bit of throttle, it splutters and then jumps forward as the power kicks back in. The filters have all been changed and they were filthy. Can anybody suggest any other possible places to check before I pay out an awful lot of money.

Sponsored Links
Double check that the flap is controlled and not just flapping around blocking off the air going into the engine as you increase the engine revs.

Tie it into the open position for a trial run if you have to.

Sorry, not sure how to do this. The bar moves from side to side when the engine starts up and revs. Are the flaps open before or after the bar moves, or do I need to look somewhere completely different?

Have double checked the bar on the inlet manifold and it seems to be moving all the valves as it should be, but the problem is no better. Unable to find any reference whatsoever in the Haynes manual to this area. Now that this fault is hopefully rectified, is there any point in having another diagnostic or should I just put the money to a new manifold?

Sponsored Links
A good breaker should be able to give you a manifold to fit.

Keep an eye on the shaft and see if it moves when you get the hesitation. If so secure it, so that it can't move. If that doesn't work secure it in the other direction and try.

Thanks for the suggestion, will try that tonight. However, I'm not convinced that the manifold is the problem. Things seem to be going downhill fast and its misfiring almost all the time now. The only time it runs OK is when its going at a steady speed. As soon as you slow down or stop, it doesn't want to go again and hills are a definate no. This is far worse that it was a couple of days ago. The fuel consumption is also very heavy. Do you have any suggestions on where else to check? (desperation setting in!!!).

Hi Yammy,

Does the engine warning light come on?
I had a similar problem with a Y reg mk 1 vectra a while back.
It was the inlet air valve. Cost 300 quid to replace from a main dealer.
Sorry I cannot give any more help but I am hopeless with cars.

Thanks to both of the people who have offered advice. The engine is coming out tomorrow. Spoke to main dealer and apparently the inlet manifold packing in is becoming a common problem - they even had a list ready of all the parts you would need. Its going to cost about £600 excluding labour, then I think there may well be a 54 Vectra Sxi turning up for sale on ebay. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Back