Problem with new radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a new radiator fitted a few weeks ago when I was having an en suite bathroom built (old rad replaced where en suite was going and 2 new ones fitted, one in en suite and one in bedroom). Since it went in the radiator in the en suite has worked fine, however the other rad has worked sporadically. Initially it failed to work (I had left it off for a few weeks while I decorated the room) but was fine when I turned off all other rads and left it running. However whenever I turn other rads on upstairs it gets cooler and then goes off completely (but the other new rad in the ensuite is fine). I have tried bleeding, as its a new rad I cant imagine the rad needs flushing. I called the builder over who put the thing in and he said the pump on my boiler (old oil burner) wasnt up to the job. I dont agree with him though as I only have about half the rads running and the bedroom rad still wont stay warm, and when I turn the unused ones on they heat up fine. Have tried the lockshield valve, without success. 2 alternatives spring to mind, try to balance the system (but surely if I have only half the rads on there should be enough in system to heat this one, even without balancing?) or get a new pump (dont fancy the expense to be honest). One thing the builder did say that I didnt pick him up on but is strange, he said that the rad that wasnt working was running off the ensuite one, could this be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated, it starting to get cold!!

Sponsored Links
Turn all your rads off bar the offending one and see if it heats up.
If so you need to balance your system.
Do a search on this forum.
:)

Thanks, I've already tried turning off all except the offending article, rad heated up no probs. But as soon as I run the other rads it gets pregressively colder. Still wondering tho why the one that it's Tee'd off is fine but it isnt, if its a matter of balancing the system. Also I have about 4 other rads turned off completely at the moment (couple downstairs and 2 upstairs) so surely there would be enough in the system to feed that one rad?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back