problem with painting artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, im new here and after some advice. I have worked on site for my whole life doing all aspects of building work as has my father who i work with. Over the weekend I was decorating in my bedroom which has an artexed ceiling which has never been painted before. We stripped all the wall paper from the room unibonded what was left and skimmed. It is yet to dry compeltely but I pressed on and painted the ceiling which we left as it was yesterday. Today the paint has peeled in places. We removed it from one patch with a stiff brush and found the artex underneath was powdery and would errode under light pressure from our fingers. We applied again on top of this with a lighter watered down coat and it has done the same again. What can we do as we have never had this problem before.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Sponsored Links
Are you using Dulux rich matt?

yes, is it a common problem with the paint? it was something my parner picked up thinking painting with pink that drys white was ingenius.

Sponsored Links
Nothing to do with either...im psychic!

ok..only kidding...there does seem to be a lot of problems regards adhesion with this paint...and it doesnt seem to be any good or porous surfaces, and apparently isnt meant to be thinned.

You dont really have an easy way out of this one...can you take the existing stuff off the ceiling...if so then you need to give it a coat of thinned emulsion first...allow t dry then re-coat.

Te artex is probably quite old so were a dust mask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back