? problem with Potterton Suprima 50 L

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had an isolated lockout a couple of weeks ago.

Heatteam came but found no problem.

Since their visit something strange has been happening.

Sometimes the heating doesn't work properly - the orange light is on continuously (just means boiler on & receiving mains supply as far as I can tell). No red flashing lockout signal.

If I turn on call for heat (e.g. wack thermostat up to 26 degrees) nothing happens - no flashing to indicate boiler registering call for heat.

I did see it flash green a couple of times, which means boiler temp satisfied - but it shouldn't be as the demand for heat was present (the thermostat clicks on at about 19 degrees).

I did get it working again by turning the boiler power supply off & on again at the wall.

However when I tried that last night the fuse blew in the mains power switch & I had to change it !

Very strange.

Could this be the PCB ?

I've booked another visit.

PS There are 2 separate thermostat-like knobs near the boiler as well - one directly above set at "20", the other away towards the header / hot water feed tanks set at "3". Any ideas what these are ?

Sponsored Links
Please someone ?

What could the be the possible causes of a boiler not responding to a call for heat from the thermostat ?

The strange thing is it works in the morning (when heating is on for an hour), and for an hour or two in the evening. Then it just switches off.

Even turning the downstairs wall thermostat up to 26 degrees + fails to elicit a response from the boiler.

thanks

Sponsored Links
I have known these to show strange symptoms when the problem was just overheating due to a blocked cold feed or other circulation issues.

I have known these to show strange symptoms when the problem was just overheating due to a blocked cold feed or other circulation issues.

Thanks

But wouldn't overheating cause some sort of warning / lockout light on the boiler ?

Problem is HeatTeam cover is only for boiler, and only in office hours, so they may not find anything wrong with boiler & not be able to help .. :(

I do have Home Emergency cover with my insurance so maybe I should call them out in the evening when it actually occurs ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back