problem with relacing 2 lights and 2 switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya folks,
appologies as i couldnt find the specific answer through the previous threads and thanks in advance for any answers. :p

in my hallway i have two pendant lights with an upstairs and downstairs double switch.

the original switches wernt working properly so i tried replacing them with two new ones each with 2 switches and i can only get 1 switch on both up and downstairs to work with both lights coming on at the same time so you can probably guess what im going to ask.

i want each switch to work independently on both up and downstairs.

following a previous thread i have one 2 core cable (red and black) and one 3 core (from memory blue, yellow, red) on each powerpoint. i think the sequence i used was 3 core red to common, black and blue to L2 and red and yellow to L1 (might be the other way round but hey ho) so both lights now work but only on one switch and not independently (both up and down switches work though) while the other switch doesnt do anything.

appologies for wafting and thanks guys
oliver

so question is please how do i get the lights to work indepndently on both up and downstairs switches say if i wanted upstairs on and down off or whatever irrespective if i switch them up or downstairs.

Sponsored Links
It's hard to work out without seeing it. From your description it sounds like you only connected one switch, is that correct.

Can you describe exactly what wires you have in each switch position and exactly what each switch used to operate.

alright mate and thankyou for the quick response.

ive connected upstairs and downstairs switches (which are double on/offs) and connected 3 core red to common, black and blue to L2, and yellow and red to L1 on one of the switches which means theres another L1/2/COM which havent been used if this makes sense

common/L1/L2 is one switch and common/L1/L2 is the other switch, so it sounds like one of the switches isn't even connected to anything and is doing nothing.

The common and L1 is connected in one position and the common and L2 in the other.

All they do is connect one of the lighting wires to another to illuminate the light that it is connected to.

It might be wise to seperate all wires and connect the red and black together with power off and note which light is on when you put the power on. I might be able to work it out then.

Sponsored Links
hello mate,
as there are 5 wires in total from a 2 core and 3 core cable (red and black is the 2 core and yellow, blue and black is the 3 core plus two earths), and the light switch has 2 times com/L1/L2 ie L1, L2 COM and another L1/L2/COM per light fitting im guessing i need a wire to cross over com to com and then place different wires on each separate l1/l2
am i close or is this just b"£$%ks?
thanks in advance
oliver

So two switch positions, each being two gang? Two gang downstairs and two gang upstairs?
Both switches are two way? Control each light from either position?
Two light fittings controlled independently?

How many cables at each switch position?

hiya and sorry for being a pain in the butt. yes to all the first paragraph questions. 2 cables at each position (one 3 core and one 2 core)

Have you crossed up the groups of Com, L1 and L2 of the two switches? It's very easily done on some types.

If C, 1 & 2 appear in a row, top and bottom, then C is usually associated with the 1 & 2 on the other row of terminals, and vice versa, the three terminals for each switch forming a triangle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back