Problem with Vaillant boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can suggest a solution to my problem.

I have had my Vaillaint EcoTec boiler trip out when in use.

The boiler was installed 10 years ago and apart from a pump and valves having to be replaced in the last few years has worked fine.

But now it has been coming up with an f24, or an f22 and now an f23 fault. When I had the f24 fault I could hear what I think was one of the valves cycling every few seconds as though the system was trying to repeatedly open the valve.

The engineer seems to be at a loss to the problem suggesting a sticking valve then an airlock which he thought he had cleared but I now have the f23.

Any ideas what I should be looking for?

Sponsored Links
get a different engineer ;) , for starters you need to look at the colour of your systems water ( heating ) other words sludge in the system ( hows your rads heat normally , cold spots ) , try cleaning your filter out if you have one , then try balancing your system or possible pump problems .

other problems you need a engineer who knows how to work on vaillants

what ecotec have you got ??( full name ) , combi or system boiler

i

Vaillant Ecotec plus, I think it is a system boiler. I would suspect that the system water is quite sludged as it is old and has no magnetic trap etc.

The engineer is the engineer who fitted the boiler.

Would it benefit from a powerflush?

If so how often does that expose leaks and if it does leak who pays for the repair?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
10 years! Do you have a car? How old is it? What’s it cost you p/a to keep
Roadworthy?

its like you asking me what car I've got and me replying a ford ;) look underneath the boiler for a label

Ecotec 418

so you expect the engineer to cover costs for your leaks and lack of maintenance ;) .

Not at all. But if a leak did occur would you expect my home insurance cover the cost of carpets etc, but not the repair?

Attachments

• boiler.jpg
    boiler.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Not at all. But if a leak did occur would you expect my home insurance cover the cost of carpets etc, but not the repair?
the engineer would be their anyway so he could fix the leak anyway . anyway there is a lot more that can be done before going down the powerflush route as you may not need a powerflush anyway .

RidleyRumpus speaking of cars what car do you have out of interest ?

the engineer would be their anyway so he could fix the leak anyway . anyway there is a lot more that can be done before going down the powerflush route as you may not need a powerflush anyway .

RidleyRumpus speaking of cars what car do you have out of interest ?

Citroen Can I ask why?

Back to CH any suggestions?

(My concern re leaks is that for some reason the installer/builder buried some of the pipework under a concrete floor and a cobbled hallway..)

Back to CH any suggestions?
I've given you suggestions already which is a good start , regarding leaks after a power flush , it doesn't happen that often tbh .

now back to the question :rolleyes:
i can't offer anymore help because manners costs fook all ;)

I can't offer anymore help because manners costs fook all ;)

Have I offended you? If I have I apologise.

(though I have gone through the thread and cannot see why you would be offended but perhaps I am just being dim)

F22/23/24 indicates a serious circulation issue, either within the system, the boiler, or both, possibly due to a large amount of sludge buildup. If it's the system, a powerflush shouldsort it. If it's the boiler, powerflushing may not sort it as the Vaillant heat exchanger is notoriously almost impossible to powerflush properly, in which case it's new boiler time (it is possible to replace the heat exchanger, but they're almost the same price as a new boiler, and a new boiler will come with a much longer warranty than a new heat exchanger).

Powerflushing should be done as part of a boiler install, but that's a moot point now. It does very occasionally expose leaks in the system, and where this happens it is the homeowners' responsibility to pay for the repairs.

F22/23/24 indicates a serious circulation issue, either within the system, the boiler, or both, possibly due to a large amount of sludge buildup. If it's the system, a powerflush shouldsort it. If it's the boiler, powerflushing may not sort it as the Vaillant heat exchanger is notoriously almost impossible to powerflush properly, in which case it's new boiler time (it is possible to replace the heat exchanger, but they're almost the same price as a new boiler, and a new boiler will come with a much longer warranty than a new heat exchanger).

Powerflushing should be done as part of a boiler install, but that's a moot point now. It does very occasionally expose leaks in the system, and where this happens it is the homeowners' responsibility to pay for the repairs.

Thanks for that.

"where this happens it is the homeowners' responsibility to pay for the repairs"

In normal usage if a radiator sprung a leak you would pay for the plumbing repair and the home insurance the carpet etc, would that not be the case here?

"as the Vaillant heat exchanger is notoriously almost impossible to powerflush properly"

Great news :(

But if I am reading you right a powerflush would be recommended and if it clears it, great but if not it could be new boiler time which would entail a PF anyway.

[
In normal usage if a radiator sprung a leak you would pay for the plumbing repair and the home insurance the carpet etc, would that not be the case here?
ye and i wonder if the insurer would come after your engineer or you claiming of the engineer :cautious: good luck to your engineer anyway with your system o_O(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back