problem with walls when fitting wood burning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am going to install an aga multi burning stove in my home, i have taken my old fireplace out and exposed the opening as much as i can and replaced the existing fire surround that is made out of cast iron, the flue is a clay liner which measures 11 inches external diameter and 8.5 inches internal diameter, because the clay flue liner is tight as the back of the chimney i have decided i am going to drop a stove flue liner down which will allow me to off set the pipe slightly as from my flue plate to the clay liner i have 12 inches to play with, do you think this will be ok? i am wanting 100mm clearance at the sides and the back of the unit.

Now.
the main problem i have got is the sides of my opening are brick and the back of my opening is breeze block, i want to bring the sides in a few inches and then tile so that the tile finishes flush with my existing cast iron fire surround, so as you look into the opening the tiles are flush, render wouldnt work very well for me as i need to bring the sides in 2 to 3 inches

i did think about plasterboard, light skim of plaster and some thick tiles with cement based grout but some people say this is not good enough.
I also thought about a cement board and using dot and dab to secure it in place and then tiling straight onto it..

im guessing to be fair on this one and am struggling, i need some advice before i do any more work. hope you might be able to help

Sponsored Links
also, the outlet on my stove is 125mm 5inch, i am going to drop a 5 inch liner down, its aprox 8m straight. does this sound ok

Check with your insurers before attempting this sort of work yourself. There can be problems obtaining insurance if a solid fuel appliance is not fitted by an accredited installer

its for my own home and i am a heating engineer, if need be i will get an engineer to check and sign off the work. the main problem is finding out the correct materials for the fire place inset as i am wanting to tile and box the sides off slightly to make it look parallel with the stove

Sponsored Links
If you are gas safe then there should be no difficulties in that direction. Thing is, installing stoves and doing chimney flue work can be a bit tricky over who signs off what.
Read my recent post ref. excellent info. sources for stoves and chimneys. Having little knowledge of this area I was surprised at the detailed Blg Regs involved.

You ask ref. a 5" diameter liner "does this sound ok"? There are specific and detailed tables for liners and openings and fuels.

ID use eterboard (cement board) and dot and dab it on, then tile as u suggest mate... I slate tiled most of my surround for stove, got slate from refuge yard...looks great. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back