Problems after a re- skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, I've just had me bedroom ceilleng over boarded and skimmed and three great big cracks have appeared across length an width of room any ideas. my plasterer is unavailable :(

Sponsored Links
Could be a few things that caused the cracks to appear. They will be following the joints in the plasterboard that's for sure,, so,,, maybe the joints weren't taped,,, maybe there's play/movement in the sheets, eg not enough screws been put in,,,, or maybe, especially at this time of the year, the sheets of plasterboard might have been damp when they were fitted/plastered over, and have now dried out/shrank slightly, causing the plaster to crack,, hard to say.. Get your plasterer back if you can. The best option would be to fire some more screws in,, re-tape over all the cracks,, PVA the whole ceiling and re-skim. Much easier than just trying to repair the cracks.

Roughcaster.

Nice one, he's just got back to me actually said somet about "oh we'll just amaizse? em over" is this ok?

Don't know what he means by "amaizse em over" Never heard that one before.... Probably a similar version to what I said.... :confused: Hopefully he'll sort out your job though P/man.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Don't know what he means by "amaizse em over" Never heard that one before.... Roughcaster.
Sounds like a little “bullshite” to me :confused: ; the fact you’ve got cracks in both directions is a little worrying, did you have cracks in the original ceiling? Make sure he at least does what “Rough” suggests & a complete overskim is almost certainly the best option but also check the following additional:

• Did he stagger the new boards so they overlapped any existing cracks & not so they lined up with any cracks in the original?

• Did he screw the new boards through the old into the joists or just whack the screws in anywhere?

I would also check out any possible movement problems with the ceiling joists!

Nice one, he's just got back to me actually said somet about "oh we'll just amaizse? em over" is this ok?

he means amzes its a type of filler used in tape and jointing but to be honest the crack will probably come back :(
Are the cracks on the ceiling or where the boards meet the wall?

loft ceilings can be rather weak particularly in pre-'90's properties.

if you have used the loft, say for storing prezzies and have subsequently removed this weight, then the ceiling below might not like it.

Jbonding wrote,

he means amzes its a type of filler used in tape and jointing

Still never heard of it JB, I even googled it too,,, nothing.

Roughcaster.

Cheers JB,,,, It was the original spelling (amaizse) instead of "ames" that caused the confusion. ;)

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back