Problems Fitting an appliance 'Y' splitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Am fitting a plastic Y splitter (from Focus) - or rather trying to !

I've tightened it as much as I dare but there is still loads of play in it (the central bit)

Plus - when fitting the appliance hose - it just pops off when I try to tighten it

Any tips - or they just rubbish ?

The pipe is right in the corner so will be a bugger to cut and T-off properly

Ta

Steve

Sponsored Links
of all costs throw away. trust me. i do own up, we once fitted one of these supplied from our local merchant. and still it split causing my boss at the time a ten grand insurance claim. lesson learned.

of all costs throw away. trust me. i do own up, we once fitted one of these supplied from our local merchant. and still it split causing my boss at the time a ten grand insurance claim. lesson learned.
ouch ! 10 grand !

yep thats why it does also pay to employ someone thats has liabilty insurance. cos it can happen to anyone in the trade.

Sponsored Links
And depending on the machine, the Hot feed is usually only used for "boil" wash, or the hottest wash, check the manual for your machine.

just connect the cold and blank the hot off, you can make a blank from the old hose pipe and a 5p and a washer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLX1z-VgCK8[/QUOTE]

Can't do that whatever it says.

If the machine has two connections both must be connected.
Why do you.
The machine is clever, it knows how much water is getting.
Although if you are using 1 connection it must be the cold supply.

Why do you think there's a need for Y tees if you don't need to connect both hoses.

Or are you thinking it will fill twice as quick if you have two cold fills.

It may well fill quicker with 2 feeds, depends how it was designed.
Did you know a Y tee can be used to supply 2 machines from 1 supply.

Assuming you can get at existing valve, (turn water off first! ;) ), remove the valve leaving nut and olive in situ. Fit a 'T' valve in place of the original valve, using nut/olive you've left in situ.

Short piece of copper tube in other end of the new 'T' valve, then fit original valve to that using nut/olive removed from new 'T' valve as you've connected that using original nut/olive left on pipe.

2 appliances, 2 valves, 0 leaks. (Hopefully.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back