Problems fitting a new toilet seat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm trying to fit a new toilet seat that came with plastic bolts, washers and nuts. However, I can find no way to tighten the fittings securely. It appears that the nuts are intended to slot into the washer, and in doing so, create a secure fit against the bolt. In practice, that doesn't happen; the fit isn't very tight at all. And when you try to tighten the nut by twisting it, it just spins on its axis.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20160731_145832767.jpg
    IMG_20160731_145832767.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 271
Sponsored Links
Have you tried fitting it to the pan yet. Looks like a taper tightening fit so the tapered washer goes in to the pan holes from the underneath and it expands as the nut is tightened (I think).

Yep, without much luck. Admittedly it's a tight squeeze (small cloakroom) so leverage isn't easy. I'm not totally sure what you mean about the washer, but it's hard plastic, so I'm not sure how it would expand. I'm also not sure how the nut can tighten, since turning it seems to achieve nothing.

Sounds faulty to me take it back for a refund & don't buy a cheapo next time.

Sponsored Links
It looks to me that the slotted end of the nut should drive into the tapered face of the washer, applying pressure to close the slotted ends together against the bolt shaft. Is the nut a reasonably tight fit on the bolt? Is the bolt threaded in the area where the nut will cover when fitted to the pan? Is the diameter of the hole in the pan small enough to give the washer something to react against? is the thread on both bolt and nut stripped, damaged or missing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back