problems in removing rewirable fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace a rewirable fuse with a mini-trip mcb for a bit more protection until i get the whole box changed. I have pulled out the rewirable fuse holder but can't undo the screw that holds the back piece in . Its a flat head screw and i can't get it to move- any tips or is it just stuck for good.

Sponsored Links
Stop being a wuss ;)

Just kidding, is the screw head knackered so that you can't get a good grip or is it just not moving? If it isn't moving you could try hitting it with a hammer and replacing it with a new one... Obviously you want to try not to break the entire CU and it would be a good idea to switch off the electricity first...

If that idea doesn't do it for you do you own an impact driver or a drill driver? Try using that, I find screws I can't undo by hand are helped along by the vibrating action of an impact driver or the drill-driver torquing out.

screw head is going to get knackered. It wont move. Hitting it with anything wouldn't be something i fancy doing. Box loks like it would fall apart first. i only have a sds 240v so if power is off ... i feel a bit wuss like. things i think will be simple wee jobs never are.

I really dont think using a hammer to smash a fuse holder out of a board would be wise or sensible even if you isolate the main switch the incomiming terminals would still be live.I dont really have a suggestion as I cant see the job you are doing but the hammer thing would definatly be silly

Sponsored Links
Yeh you're right, I should have added more than a few dots to make it clear that it wasn't really to be considered as an option unless there was no other way.

Just to be clear though. I wasn't talking about bashing the crap out of it ;) A firm tap around the screw is probably all it will take to crack the plastic and the rest can then be removed with pliers, along with the screw.

Often it helps to try and TIGHTEN a stuck screw before undoing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back