Fuse Box problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I need help please. I have an old fuse box, each fuse can be rewired if blown. I would like to update to a safer type of fuse. My current fuses are; 2 white, marked lighting. 1 Blue, marked Heater Water. 3 Red, marked, Plug sockets x2, + 1 marked cooker.
What should I ask for as replacements? I simply want to pull the old fuses out and plug in the modern type. Changing the whole C U is not an option.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
hi, i assume from the description that you have the old wylex type board..

you can get replacement breakers from places like B&Q ( maybe only the larger stores, my local is a "warehouse" so that's the one i know carries them )

they are colour coded the same as the fuses.. white 6 amp, blue 16, red 32.. just get like for like...

EDIT: ok just looked at the website and it looks like the new models aren't coloured, but do come with coloured bases..

still the same though.. red = 6A, blue = 16A, red = 32A

mcbp2.jpg

There are a lot of them around, put your email address in your Profile and someone may have a few.

What brand and colour is your fusebox?

didnt think b&q would have replacements for such an old board? but someone who is more in the know will comment. edit: i see johD has already answered follow his advice

cuthbert7454, fuses aren’t particularly unsafe (unless you pull the out without turning the power off first) MCB’s trip slightly quicker. With an old installation there are other things that might be worth looking at first such as:

-no RCD protection on sockets (and shower if installed)
-no / undersized Main Equipotential Bonding (MEBs) to gas and water pipes
-no / incorrect supplementary bonding in bathroom
-possibly no earth on lighting circuit
- possibly no earth at all!
-possibly old perishing cables.

A picture of the surrounding areas of your fusebox, especially and green/yellow wires will answer a lot of the above, and pictures really get people talking on here.

Sponsored Links
Hello sm1thson. Having just read your advice I am now going to copy your notes to my landlord. I will not tell him where I received the info but will ask him to DO SOMETHING.
Thank you

Here they seem to be ...
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Consumer_Units_Index/Wylex_Standard_Range/index.html
Is this an old TLC advert-pix?
Note Order code =WY B32 suggests B32.....Picture shown=30 Amp MCB B30

----------------------
The Wylex official advert click here shows the latest uniformly black marked MCB's (with coloured bases)

Ranged as
  • B6 6A MCB
  • B10 10A MCB
  • B16 16A MCB
  • B20 20A MCB
  • B32 32A MCB
  • B40 40A MCB

5A : 15A : 30A discontinued?

Wylex ad.
b32.jpg
As opposed to TLC ad.
WYB30.JPG

Someone will explain why 32 A replaces 30 A and how either can replace, for example, a 30Amp B3036 rewire-able fuse.

;)
Better late than never !! :D

The things in my notes may all be ok, best not wind up your landlord just yet, lets find out which are ok and which aren’t. can you post some pictures?

Changing fuses to mcbs technically changes the design characteristics of the circuit so probably comes under part p, that’s getting pedantic as you will be improving it slightly so not something where people are going to start shouting your braking the law, however your landlord might not like you playing in such area, especially if you are going to start picking his faults. –just a thought.

The OP mentioned that he was going to get the landlord to DO SOMETHING about his old CU with fuses in it. I'm a landlord. What is so wrong about an old CU with fuses? If the fuses don't blow when they are supposd to, fair enough, but I'm not obliged to keep to the cutting edge of technology.

i believe he was referring to these comments by sm1thson

-no RCD protection on sockets (and shower if installed)
-no / undersized Main Equipotential Bonding (MEBs) to gas and water pipes
-no / incorrect supplementary bonding in bathroom
-possibly no earth on lighting circuit
- possibly no earth at all!
-possibly old perishing cables.

and landlords should have to ensure their property comlies with whatever governing regulations are in force at the time ( IE, regs, heating stuff etc..)

Nothing wrong with rewirable fuses, there are advantages to using either fuses or MCBs, with a fuse the disconnection times can be up to 5secs, with an MCB the disconnection is given by the magnetic setting of the device which equates to a 0.1s disconnection hence the earth fault loop impedance usually need to be lower for an MCB. On the other hand, MCBs are easier to reset and unlikely to abused in the same way as a rewireable fuse can be (6in nail etc).

So?

If it is a rented property then it must be upto standard.

Do you have a current periodic inspection report for the property?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back