HELP: Replacement of old mains electric cables/components to Consumer units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just had a new electric meter fitted and the chap told me I need to change the old rubber? wires coming out going to the old fuse type boxes (not sure what they are called). The fuse black boxes then has cables going to two consumer units on another wall.

So need help with:

1. Should I just replace the cables he mentioned? (Marked 1 in pic)
2. Should I at the same time replace the cables and the old fuse type boxes? (marked 2 in pic)
3. Do 1. and something else?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-07 at 14.36.57.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-07 at 14.36.57.jpeg
    423.4 KB · Views: 205
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-11-07 at 14.36.57 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-07 at 14.36.57 (1).jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 173
Sponsored Links
thanks again chaps

Last edited:
Patience. Them wot know enough have work commitments and they will reply in due course.

I'd advise you to add more exact details of exactly what each of those two fused isolation boxes are feeding via the Consumer units (with photos of said boxes showing switches/breakers or fuses).

It may just need new 'meter tails' into the CUs from the new white L & N Henley blocks, plus, of course, new insulated green yellow protective conductor earth wires installed. But I'm not really qualified to advise. It certainly looks to me like it needs some TLC as that T+E feeding to the consumer units is unsafe (exposed single insulated wires).

What do the two switch fuses [2] feed?
The wiring to those is not correct as there are single insulated conductors outside the connection enclosure.
Those cables do look like they have lived for many decades. Cannot tell from here what condition they are.
If they are rubber insulated then they should have been seen to many years ago. If the rest of the installation is of a similar age then a heap of renewal is needed.
You need to have an electrician examine and do a report on the whole installation (EICR =ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CONDITION REPORT)
That will tell you you what must, should and could be required to get you safe and up to date.

Sponsored Links
Patience. Them wot know enough have work commitments and they will reply in due course.

I'd advise you to add more exact details of exactly what each of those two fused isolation boxes are feeding via the Consumer units (with photos of said boxes showing switches/breakers or fuses).

It may just need new 'meter tails' into the CUs from the new white L & N Henley blocks, plus, of course, new insulated green yellow protective conductor earth wires installed. But I'm not really qualified to advise. It certainly looks to me like it needs some TLC as that T+E feeding to the consumer units is unsafe (exposed single insulated wires).
the 2 fuse boxes are feeding 2 consumer units on another wall. Like you say im not sure if I still need these and just take cables from the newly installed L&N henly blocks to the consumers?

The wiring to those is not correct as there are single insulated conductors outside the connection enclosure.
Those cables do look like they have lived for many decades. Cannot tell from here what condition they are.
If they are rubber insulated then they should have been seen to many years ago. If the rest of the installation is of a similar age then a heap of renewal is needed.
You need to have an electrician examine and do a report on the whole installation (EICR =ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CONDITION REPORT)
That will tell you you what must, should and could be required to get you safe and up to date.
the two fused switches feed 2 consumer units on another wall. So I need to update the cables going from the henley boxes to the fused switches as told by the engineer? how about the cables from the fuse switches to the consumer units? and the fuse switches themselves?

the 2 fuse boxes are feeding 2 consumer units on another wall. Like you say im not sure if I still need these and just take cables from the newly installed L&N henly blocks to the consumers?
Can we see a pic of those?

The existing 2 "fuse boxes" have 60 amp fuses in them for a reason. You could run meter tails from the henley blocks to the CUs but
1. the distance cannot be more than 3 metres (DNO requirement)
2. the meter tails should be run on the surface, if they are concealed then RCD protection will probably be required. Like much else, it depends....

Also, what supply type is that? IMO, the main earth terminal (where it says text) is toooooooo small.

ok let me get some pics of the CU and wiring..

Can we see a pic of those?

The existing 2 "fuse boxes" have 60 amp fuses in them for a reason. You could run meter tails from the henley blocks to the CUs but
1. the distance cannot be more than 3 metres (DNO requirement)
2. the meter tails should be run on the surface, if they are concealed then RCD protection will probably be required. Like much else, it depends....

Also, what supply type is that? IMO, the main earth terminal (where it says text) is toooooooo small.
Please pics of fuse boxes

Attachments

• PXL_20231107_185153230.jpg
    PXL_20231107_185153230.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 117
  • PXL_20231107_185219518.jpg
    PXL_20231107_185219518.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 111
  • PXL_20231107_185201637.jpg
    PXL_20231107_185201637.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 109
  • PXL_20231107_185204957.jpg
    PXL_20231107_185204957.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 114
Then you need your own overcurrent protection, It would be a relativly quick job to have someone replace the switchfuses with a couple of these https://www.internet-electrical.co....0a-100a-fuses-for-domestic-installations-ip20 with fresh tails, but the other end needs looking at too ideally, neither of those boards have RCD protection, and then it might be better to just have one board, and upgrade the submain and fit bigger fuse in switchfuse.

Then you need your own overcurrent protection, It would be a relativly quick job to have someone replace the switchfuses with a couple of these https://www.internet-electrical.co....0a-100a-fuses-for-domestic-installations-ip20 with fresh tails, but the other end needs looking at too ideally, neither of those boards have RCD protection, and then it might be better to just have one board, and upgrade the submain and fit bigger fuse in switchfus
Im not sure if there is RCD protection today, but it would be good to get that. Is it straightforward to change the CUs to one? and Im guessing I would have to run a new better cable to the new consumer unit? thanks

Unless it’s a rental property there is no obligation , other than common sense to act on the recommendations of an EICR

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back